Cant keep idol... don't know why??? : (

devilsadvocate

Hey all,

I have a 1990 yj I6 carb' w/automatic trany that wont maintain idol. I just had the engine rebuilt recently and was running great until i ran through some water and thats when it started acting up. At first i could maintain idol, but once i shift into gear it would turn off. At this point it wont even maintain idol at start up. Some told me that the distributor and components may have gotten wet, but i took that apart and replace the rotor, cap and cables (it needed it). I also pulled the spark plugs but they were dry. I did the same to the coil; slightly moist. Others said possible vacuum problem; I'm on that task using a emissions diagram from my haynes repair book (a bit confusing).

I was hoping some new something i don't and if this is a job for a mechanic. I some what of a newbie to jeeps, but not scared to get into the job. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much in advance.

Was there any water in the air box? How's the oil look? Sounds like it sucked in a little water

These should help with the routing of the vac hoses...
The one on the top left is the overall piccture of the system and its routing. The top right and bottom two pictures are of details of components of the system.

Attachments

• vacuhose.png
    vacuhose.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,251
  • vac-egr.png
    vac-egr.png
    7 KB · Views: 994
  • vac-mcu.png
    vac-mcu.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,304
  • vac-tac.png
    vac-tac.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 490
Sorry i forgot to put that in, but the oil was the 1st thing i checked and luckly no water. And 1000 thanks for the diagrams. Much, MUCH easier.

Back