carb problems

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member

As usual, I'm having problems with my carter carb.

I installed a new (used) one, and I can actually start and drive the Jeep. My problem is that when I gas it, there is a big hesitation. I am guessing that the mixture is off, but it have never found a good way to set it. Anyone know how to set up a carter carb, and if so, could you explain it to me?

Thanks,
Terry

Hesitation is not a mixture problem, the accelerator pump is not pumping .

do this :
>remove air cleaner
>look down carb throat
>pump throttle once
>do you see a squirt of gas ?
>NO = accelerator pump inop
>YES = vac hose off somewhere.Probably above the throttle plate at the carb base. The hose may be on, but either the other end is off or the hose has a huge hole in it allowing the carb to get a big swaller of air which over leans the mix and causes the engine to stumble.

To fix accel pump, buy a rebuild kit & rebuild yer carter. they're about $20 $30 or $40 . The most important part of a carb rebuild is to C L E A N everything. every orfice, every part, every passageway ect.

The kit will contain all new gaskets, o rings and a spring & ball or 2. The instructions will tell you where they go.

Buy a can of carb cleaner when you buy your kit and soak all the pieces which will clean 'em

Lots of fun!
>

I have a 1989 WRANGLER 4.2, and I have found that most all of my performance problems have been related to my carter carb. Sadly to say adjustment has been the cause. I had a hesitation problem anytime I let the motor idle and then gas it. (from a stop, turning corners, ect) The fix was the accelerator pump was not adjusted properly.I did not have enough piston travel (it wasn't getting enough gas) when I increased the travel, the hesitation completely went away. Hope this helps.

Looks like I beat it!

turns out I had several problems, There were two vacuum hoses off (what I think was the real cause), the mixture had one pin only .5 a turn out (put both at 2 turns), and finally the timing was way off. Now she idles great.

Along the was I ended up replacing the plugs 4 times, the ignition coil, the fuel pump, changing the oil twice (had gas in it), and put on a new carb.

Thank everyone for your help
Terry

dont u just hate that! spending all that time&$, and it turned out to be something simple but overlooked. been there many times, [all in the learning process] but i always think about all the money that i saved by doing it myself.....

Something you should do, we all should do, from time to time replace all your vac hoses.

Every several years or so. The cost is minimal and the preventative maintenance it provideds is immense.

The worst thing about a vac hose which comes off is that the hose is now sucking unfiltered air & dirt into the engine.

If you are on a real dusty trail, it'll ingest ALOT of dirt. Enough which can lead to engine wear.

Back