Change to synthetic oil?

clacasse

Take a look at some Future Jeeps

I have a 1994 YJ with 74k miles. I was thinking about synthetic for my next oil change, which should be due in a couple of weeks. Is it worth the extra money for my jeep? Also heard that regular oil has benefits that synthetic does not have. Any idea what those benefits are? I'm hoping to get the jeep to 200k+ miles so I'm willing pay the extra money for the synthetic but only if it has real benefits.

I wouldn't spend the extra money. Unless you drive it like a race truck, but in that case it will not make it to 200k anyway.

Extra lift to clear thirty threes?

At that age I would just to prolong the life. Even in my 6 month old I noticed a big difference in the smoothness of the Engine.

My .02, Do it as soon as you can and keep it that way. Synthetics grab better and therefore get pulled up into the Engine sooner durring warm-up and more actually clings to moving parts. This, however miniscule, will extend the life of you automobile.

Thanks for the response. I will probably make the switch. It's not that much more expensive now that I think about it. 3 cases a year so $30 more a year.

That's all i use in mine. And i only have 15k on a new motor. It all depends on how you want to treat your motor.

How old is too old to start using something like that. My '93 already had 150K on it. Scary I know. I just got it a few months ago and don't drive it alot. I want to make it last as long as ossible so i can save up for a new one. Would the synthertic help any?
Mike

i know it isnt jeep but 85 toy 4x4 brake light

Once you change over to synthetic you can not change back. A call to Quakerstate about there 4x4 extream oil said the change between the synthetic and natual oils during oil changes effect your cork gaskets by breaking them down and causes them to leak.

L33TJ33P said:
QuakerSludge. EWWW ;)

I have heard many bad things about Quakerstate.

So have I! I used to work at a parts store (Chief Auto Parts) and the mechanics that bought their oil there all hated the Quaker State. They told me to avoid it like the plague.
Some would say it was OK if you used ONLY QS and nothing else. Said that the engine would start to gunk up if you used QS on one change and another brand for the next change.

So, I've just always stuck with Castrol. Personally, I don't think that synthetic makes that much difference. As long as you keep the oil changed regularly, you'll be ok.
Just my opinion though.

Looking for a lift

OK Ok Quakersludge isn't sludge juice anymore. In fact hardly ANY oil is. They Pennsoil included used to use a paraphen (sp?) base.
Quakerstate is rated as one of the top oils today.
(No I don't sell oil, just in the know.)

On the other note Synthetics are wonderful. THEY DO however clean a motor out. Meaning if you have sludge build up it will remove this in almost one change. BUT................this means REALLY dirty motors can clog there oil pump screens. The most typical case is cleaning out the corners that are sludged up and NOW you have new leaks you never knew you had. Older engines tend to get these leaks for normal reasons of age. So at least prepare for this. This should be the only problem with switching to synthetic oils. It does make a difference, it is better oil, but if you religously replace regular oil with filters every 3K then you won't need to change over. That motor loves ya and will last forever.
Also don't ever put into a motor until it is completely broken in.

don't ever put into a motor until it is completely broken in.

I waited until 5k to switch on lil'bit. At 5k I went to a Synthetic blend then at 8 I moved to pure synthetic. I will continue to change her about every 4 to 5 k though or when she starts feeling a little rough.

I've been using Castrol's synthetic blend for 3 oil changes now. It's cheaper and I just figured the blend would be a little safer for a '92 that was used to regular oil - maybe it is, maybe not. One thing you want to remember that is crutial but so overwhelmingly overlooked about synthetic oil is that even though the manufactures claim it takes much longer to break down (which it does), it still gets dirty just as fast as plain ol' oil. I STILL change it every 3K mi. Dirty oil is POISON!!! Even in newer engines with the tighter tolerances there is this thing called "blow-by", which is all the junk that darkens the oil.

Gotta say ,on racing engines the cam and lifter as well as the ring manufacturers won't gurantee any components if you use synthetic from the begining. Their claim is that "The components need time to seat and wear to conform to each other". This is something that only the mineral based oils will allow. After 1500-2000 miles (or equivalent hours), then you can change to a synthetic and benefit from its anti-friction properties.

I had a friend who had a late model Neon, with 80,000 miles on it. He drove it from Ark to California. Before the trip he switched to some kind of synthetic oil a good reputable brand. Around Arizona the head gasket blew out. When the mechanic pulled it apart it was clean enough to eat off of. He said it looked brand new inside, but the gasket was dissolved.
The mechanic had seen this before. He told him when you put a synthetic oil that is high detergent in an older motor it dissolves the carbon deposits. And if the motor is high in carbon it will clean the gaskets with it.

This was about 6 years ago, so I don't know how much the oils have changed. You might think before putting Synthetic in an older motor though. I have read where they have some blended oils out now. These are supposed to be mineral and synthetic, the best of both.

I hope this helps,

Later,
Jackal

1st generation neon's were known for blown head gaskets anyway. Synthetic is the way to go. And you can change back to conventional oil with no problems. Synthetic does not hurt new engines and will not stop them from breaking in. The Dodge Viper & the Chevy Corvette come filled with Mobil 1 synthetic from the factory. My synthetic choice, Amsoil. Oil changes at 25,000 miles or once a year, filter changes every 6 months. Yes I do run it this way and no I have no problems. Amsoil guarantees it.

parting out

I don't care what they claim there is no way I would ever leave the same oil in a motor for 25,000 miles :roll: .

Engine oil is a very important part of your Jeep. Most of the comments about switching to synthetic oil(s) are true. You will have problems with leaks if your engine is use to the regular engine oils. Synthetic oil will stay in its true for longer than natural oil, BUT , if youleave it in there for as much as 25, 000 miles, you will in fact be running your engine with contaminated oil. Regular oil does not really "Breaksown" at 3,000 mi. You can in fact go way past the 3,000 miles with the same oil. The problem with that is that oil gets "dirty" or contaminated, and it will harm your engine that way. I beleive that Synthetic oils can be 1000 times better than regular oil, but I totally disagree with leaving oil in your engine for such long periods. BTW, Amsoil is a VERY VERY good synthetic oil. You will get what you pay for.

There's no way I would go 25,000. No matter what they claim. I've heard guys claim you aren't supposed to change synythetic . Just change the filter and add to the oil 'til it's full!!!!!! I wouldn't want a vehicle they had owned or want them to work on mine. All of the sulfer contamination in the oil will destroy the bearings. About the warranty, call some of the aftermarket cam manufacturers and ask them about using synthetic oils.

Jackal :mrgreen:

I know of a guy running a 1st generation neon running Amsoil from just about day 1. Hes doing over 25,000 mile oil changes and has over 300,000 on the engine without ever touching it. The proof is there

I thought you said those first generation neons had head gasket problems. HMMMMMM?????????????????????

Jackal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back