Changing a 2.5L into a 4.0

thinkagen

I have a 2001 Jeep wrangler 2.5L and have been thinking of upgrading to a 4.0L engine seeing as how I am in no possision to sell mine and buy a Sports addition I was curious to the trouble I might run into if I was to drop a 4.0 into my stock 2.5. Any help is appreciated.

You'll need the 4.0L, transmission and transfer case too since the 4.0L won't bolt up to your transmission. Don't forget the 4.0L computer, you'll need it. You're talking $1500 to $3000 cuz you'll need a drivetrain the same year as your Jeep or newer.

It's more money and a LOT more headache than trading up to a 4.0L TJ, and a factory 4.0L will have a cleaner engine bay and wiring install.

AND you'll have to cut the 2.5L motor mount perches from the frame and weld on or fabricate motor mount perches for the 4.0L. This is the point of no return.

If it would bolt up to the transmission and motor mounts, this would be a no-brainer, but it's not that easy. Usually easier and cheaper to bolt in a common GM 350 drivetrain.

You'll need the transmission and transfer case that fits the 350, and computer and wiring harness if you use fuel injection. You'll need to buy or fab alternator and power steering brackets. You'll need a larger radiator. You'll need motor mounts from Advance Adapters or Novak (AA has a cool cradle motor mount). Your stock motor mount perches will need cut from the frame.

If you are interested in this I have a lot of info on this as well as everything that you need for this. I have a 2001 motor with 9000 miles the computer, transmission and transfer case with drive shafts. Everything that you need for the swap. I think I even have the engine mounts. I was going to put it in my 95 but it came down to having to change all the wiring to do this so I gave it up and got an 94 engine to put in. You will have to change the mounts on the motor and since I have everything else you shouldn't have to change any gears or anything. The wiring harness comes with the motor so that will plug into your exisitng system. Let me know if this is what you want to do and if so let me know I have everything.

its deffinatly not worth putting a 4.0 onto your tj. i was in the same delima as you are in. I have a 97 TJ and i was going to put a 4.0 in it but it would cost just as much actually a little less to buy the cradel from novak and to get a 350 with transfer case and trans and have that put into my jeep i am in the process of doing it now.

Back