Cheap Lift kits: are they worth it?

JohnnyZ

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the Jeep thang. So far I just have minor cosmetic things on my 99 TJ 4 banger. When my Jeep needed new tires last month I did run out and get larger ones 31x10.5 R15 as recommended by some friends. Now I find my tires are rubbing the bodywork when i do tight turns. I'm thinking of going with a lift kit, but I'm on a pretty tight budget (baby on the way!). I don't really offroad, but I'd like that "look". I have been seeing stuff like this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33585&item=2430626747

I know its not as hardcore as what most of you have, but its price is right! Can I get away with these any my stock shocks for at least a couple of years of normal driving?

Thanks,
JZ

you can do a 1 inch body lift, you could do a shackle lift... both will give you cheap clearance for those 31's

The coil spacers should give you the clearance you need, and you will maintain your stock suspension's ride and at that height, for street riding, your shocks should be fine. I don't know if the spacers will compress over time, maybe somebody else could help you out there.

Go with the spacer lift. It's cheap, and I would go 2 ". Will give you clearence for those tires both on the road and off (if you decide to go that route). You can buy a cheap set for now and should get at least a couple of years outta them. At that time, you can consider a better or higher lift.

As far as shackle lifts, TJ's have coils on all 4 corners, ao there are no shackles to replace.

Rob 8) :p :)

replacement back seat

Price in not always the indacator of quality in anything. You get what you pay for hardly ever stands up to the ol saying. I bargan shopped and bought a Rough Country lift from FollowMyRutz.com and was very happy I did. It was a quality system for a good price. Good luck tug

The coil spacers are all good as long as they are poly urethane. Rubber ones will eventually get crushed, dry rot or both. Check your lower control arms to make sure the inside of the tire isn't rubbing. If it is...don't turn so sharp.

Hey JZ,
I have a 2000 TJ and had 31X10.5X15's installed when I bought it and they rubbed at full lock also. What I did was bought wheels with a zero offset. It brought the wheels out about an inch and they don't rub at all with no lift.
Good luck!.
Derrel

on a tj, you can fit 31's stock... but go with a 2" spacer lift... cheap, easy, stock ride, and again... 2"... not bad

Check out Rubicon Express They ahve a 2" spacer lift that will have you all set. This includes Shocks. I tried a 2" spring lift on my 2003 TJ and . . . well . . . Now I am looking for shocks. But either way I will have spent less for springs and shocks by buying them separate than buy buying a kit. If I had to do it all again I would have saved mysel;f 100 bucks buying the Rubicon Express "Budget boost" but I like my solid springs better.

::: PS :::
REMEMBER YOUR ALIGNMENT!!!!!!

I didn't and it caused serious problems. Wore my Tires down cause of a 3" "Toe-In" and now I have to get a new Stabilizer to correct the bumpsteer.

Hey guys thanks for the response. Okay, it looks like i will make a bid on ebay for either the 1" or 2"lift kit. I will also check out rubicon express' website for pricing. Too bad no one is selling a set on the boards here.

I'll keep ya posted on what transpires!

Remember that the ones on E-Bay are only spacers. You will still have to spend more to have yourself set up to ride "the right way". My next lift will prolly be a 3.5 ;) But this time I will not try to "Jerry Rig" the lift.

Info for any future NEW Jeep buyers.

JZ

I have a 2002 Sahara and all I did was put 2 inch Skyjacker spring spacers and I was able to fit 33's with no rubbing. They are fine for now until I can lift it even more!!

Hey NJJeepGirl,
Did you install a transfer case lowering kit when you installed the spring spacer kit? I have a 2000 Sahara and want to do the 2" spacer kit but I'm not sure if I need the lowering kit. Desert Rat tells me that I need to use the kit even with just 2" of lift to stop drive shaft vibration. What do you think? Thanks.
Derrel

Don't waste your time and effort on 1" spacers, those are a joke for anything but leveling your ride out.

Back