Check engine light?

CoopDawg

I have a 90 cherokee, 4.0. It runs rough at times and I tried to pull trouble codes but I can't find a check engine (or service) light anywhere. I took the dash apart to see if the bulb was bad but still couldn't find it.
Second question, Is there a factory amp somewhere? if so, where?

Sounds like the throttle body needs a good cleaning. It couldn't hurt any.

There are essentially no stored codes in the Renix (87-90). There is a real time code reader available, but they are getting rare.
Tell me exactly when it runs rough, cold, hot, idle, 2000 RPM etc. and we may be able to narrow down probable causes.
First things to do with most any Renix are an ohm test of the CPS. Clean the rear head to firewall ground strap (shiny) where it makes contact and the grounds at the dipstick holder.
Sometimes a few minor faults add up and cause grief.
Like mentioned the TB and specifically the IAC need to be cleaned.
If you get solvent in the TPS it will fail. Vacuum leaks are also common.

I replaced the IAC and I emptied a can of cleaner into the throttle body. I does it whenever it wants. hot, cold, warm. Ran great all day today then on my way home just now its running on 5, pooping thru throttlebody and all. I am ready to give up.

Ohm test the CPS, usually what screws up.
If it just started acting up after the TB cleaning, you may have gotten some solvent on the TPS.
Could it be as simple as fouled plugs, after you washed all the junk down into the cylinders?
I'm not a big fan of dumping stuff down the TB. All that trash has to go somewhere and ends up in the cylinders. Hopefully it all makes out the exhaust eventually, but who really ever knows for sure?
When cleaning my TB I remove it, I take out the IAC, cover the TPS with aluminum foil and scrub it with a toothbrush and brake cleaner. I leave the crap in the intake until it's time to pull it anyway to fix the exhaust manifold (which will likely eventually crack and leak anyway).
If it is in fact running on five, ohm test your plug cables. If a plug cable gets really high resistance, the spark may take an odd path to ground.
You give up easy, it's likely to take awhile. "If it was easy, it would likely already be fixed".

I think I may have a timing issue. Now there is a noise to go along with the rough running. Going to see if I can get ahold of a timing light before I buy anymore parts. just for the record, I did fix some vac leaks the day after I got it, and I have replaced the IAC after I sprayed a can of cleaner down the TB. I really like this Jeep, it's just drivin me nuts. I now understand the things on the windshields "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn"t understand" I hope I can figure out the issue before it nickle and dimes me to death.

Stick with it...give it time. You figure it out. If it's like a real Jeep problem, it will go away on its own. Then 3 months from now it will be back again!

Mine used to run a little rough at times, like it would idle real rough for about 20 seconds and then it would run smooth for another 20, off and on like that. Did a good tune up, new plug wires and bosch platinum + 4's, runs fine now man so like MudderChuck said, it could definitely be fouled plugs or a weak spark.

I think I may have a timing issue. Now there is a noise to go along with the rough running. Going to see if I can get ahold of a timing light before I buy anymore parts. just for the record, I did fix some vac leaks the day after I got it, and I have replaced the IAC after I sprayed a can of cleaner down the TB. I really like this Jeep, it's just drivin me nuts. I now understand the things on the windshields "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn"t understand" I hope I can figure out the issue before it nickle and dimes me to death.
Timing light really isn't going to do you much good in the traditional sense. The ECU (computer) controls the timing and you really can't adjust anything.
You can hook the timing light up to each individual spark plug cable, shine the light at something dark like the relays cover and see when that particular cable and/or plug misfires. The distributor caps and rotors seem to wear pretty fast on my 88, the plugs seem to last forever.
Weak spark is definitely a possibility, high resistance plug wires or coil to cap wire can cause that. As can low voltage to the coil module or even corroded contacts between the module and the coil. I had all of that going on at one time or another, corroded connectors would cut down on the voltage to the coil, the module to coil contacts were green, my plug wires were iffy and my distributor cap (inside) looked pretty bad. Even the underside of my relay block was green and corroded.
I'd still ohm test the CPS, when they test near the outside of the tolerance around 190 ohms or so, they can act up. Heat can change the ohm values in a CPS. It may only act up when it's hot. Runs poorly, misses, has no power, gets hard to impossible to start.
Be sure and check the vacuum tube from your TB to the MAP sensor. Easy to break or knock out of the TB, there are two holes you can plug it into, but only one goes all the way through the side of the TB, plugging it into the wrong hole can screw up your day. I blow thorugh the MAP vacuum line and the side of the TB where the Map vacuum line plugs in. Screw up the Map vacuum line and your motor is subject idle like chit, miss and run really rich, blow smoke and unburnt fuel out of the exhaust and accelerate slowly if at all.
I never stuck much money into my 88, but have stuck a lot of time into it. It idles and runs better than my 96 now. One thing I did do that saved me a lot of time and money was to get a complete set of junkyard sensors. I compare one sensor against the other, before buying anything. I'm still running most all of my original (22 year old) sensors except for the CPS and oil sending unit.
Re torquing the intake/exhaust manifold bolts is almost a must do thing. Leave the end studs alone, they tend to snap off. Two people, one on the bottom to place the socket and extension on the bolt, one on top to work the torque wrench, is the easiest way I've found, tighten from the center out. Bolts are hard to get to on the bottom and can be frustrating.

Last edited:
I know the timing was right, so if I put a light on it now and it says it's out then something moved somewhere. The distibutor couldn't have moved so that leaves the timing chain slipped as the only possibility. It's now running with a constant missfire complete with backfire thru the TB.

If you emptied out a can of carburator cleaner through the t.body down to your intake manifold, all that gunk build up just went down to your combustion chamber, possibly fouling out a sparkplug, a piece of carbon is trapped between the valve and valve seat and not to mention, the unburned ,unbroken down carbon going down to the catalytic converter which is bad. Make sure the plugs are good and all the valves are closing properly.

I know the timing was right, so if I put a light on it now and it says it's out then something moved somewhere. The distibutor couldn't have moved so that leaves the timing chain slipped as the only possibility. It's now running with a constant missfire complete with backfire thru the TB.
The problem, if it is timing, can't really be checked with a timing light. The computer is constantly changing the timing, even at idle. One of the reasons computer controlled vehicles are more efficient.
Doubtful the timing chain jumped, I really can't remember a 4.0 chain ever jumping. If the distributor has never been removed, timing would be far down my list of probable problems.
SteelHeadz is IMO likely giving good advice.
Possible it' a sensor or wiring problem either the TPS (which controls much of the timing) or the CPS which also has timing input.
Or as simple as a bad plug wire, where the high voltage spark jumps from one plug wire to the next and fires a plug at the wrong time. Or maybe (if you've pulled and reconnected any plug wires) you may have gotten the firing order wrong. Or even put the distributor cap on crooked (not likely). I've tried to tighten it down crooked a few times, I've never really succeeded.

Last edited:
problem has been solved. Now I just have to fix it. It's a bad lifter on the #6 exhaust valve. I'll update you all after its all reassembled. Gotta wait for payday to buy the parts.

Back