cherokee hybrib???

YJnamedTJ

hey guys im just wondering if i founf a cherokee withh d44s and a 4.0 could i swap all that into my 94 wrangler yj? do they have the trasfer case and all? and what should i look for on a cherokee 4.0 like noises and such?

1971 CJ5 Wiring Diagram

Depends on what cherokee. I know the D44 can be swapped in (spring perches are different) the 4.0s are the same engine, I can only assume the mounts are the same... I know that some have 4wd all time and others have the NP231 t-case which is the same as your YJ. As for noises and such, if you are going to just use the xj for those parts, make sure they all work right!

The only XJ with the D44 rear axle is the '87-'89 models, and the 4.0L engine in those is not HO. Front axle is the same D30.

The T-cases are both NP231's but they are different. There is a small hole near the speedo cable that the XJ uses, and I can't remember why it is there, but I know YJ's don't have it. It will need to be plugged. I noticed this when installing my SYE, the directions were slightly different for XJ's.

The trannies are also different!

The first model year XJ Cherokee with fuel injection was:
2.5 Liter (4 cyl) engine = 1986 model year.
4.0 Liter (6 cyl) engine = 1987 model year.

4.0L HO = High Output. These so called "HO" motors didn't surface till the 1991 model year. The only real difference between the HO and Non-HO engines is the HP ratings. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

hey but wait i thought that the 89-91 cherokee had front and rear d44's in some of them? and as for the i-6 swap id rather do a v-8 swap but yeah but i havent seen many writeups about that kinda thing ya know...and i was wondering about fullsize axles and long arm suspension? would that be street legal in va?

YJnamedTJ said:
hey but wait i thought that the 89-91 cherokee had front and rear d44's in some of them?

Nope. XJ Cherokees only had DANA 30 front axles throughout production. Most have a DANA 35c or Chrysler 8.25 (late models) rear axles. Only some Cherokees made before 1991 or so had a DANA 44 rear.

Maybe you are thinking of the SJ Cherokee & Wagoneer (AKA the Full-Sized Cherokee & Wagoneer)?

The fullsize cherokee? you mean like a grand cherokee? or i mean what are you talking about? cause joopin said that hhe got his axles from an 89 cherokee? and i was gonna try to do the same thing???? and the 4.0 can wait i guess cause i need to regear anyway and i want to do a spring over lift and all.....got a question....what about doing a long are suspension lift how street legal is that? and how street legal are fullsize axles?

Hi,

It is important to note that there are actually TWO production lines of Jeep vehicles that use the names "Cherokee" and "Wagoneer."

First, you have the vehicles known by the Jeep code "SJ". These vehicles carried the name Cherokee and Wagoneer. They were built from I believe the mid '70s to like 1986-ish. These are known as Full Size Jeeps. They are large vehicles.

Next, you have the vehicles known by the Jeep Code "XJ". These vehicles ALSO carry the names Cherokee and Wagoneer. The XJ Cherokee (AKA the MID-SIZED cherokee) was produced from 1984 to 2001. The XJ Wagoneer (AKA the MID-SIZED Wagoneer) was produced from 1984 - 1991.

And lastly (as a side note:) The Jeep vehicles coded the ZJ (1993-1996?) and WJ (1997-present) are now named the Grand Cherokee. These vehicles in NO way related to XJ or SJ Cherokees/Wagoneers except for the shared Cherokee name.

Most of the time, Cherokee or Wagoneer is said referring to the XJ line. Anytime you are talking about the SJ line, it is common to call them the Full Sized Jeeps.

Now, to your question... The XJ Cherokees ONLY had DANA 44 rear axles ONLY from like '86 - '89 model years... fairly uncommon. The Full Sized (SJ) Cherokees and Wagoneers had BOTH DANA 44 Front and rear axles for some time (not sure exactly when).

Hope that makes sense :mrgreen:

Well that cleared things up a bit.

YJnamedTJ... the only concerns that you would have about keeping it street legal for the lift is the height of the bumper, headlights, and tail lights. Each state usually go by a certain measurement from the ground to these parts on your jeep to keep it legal. The full sized axles will only be a concern if your tires are sticking out past the flares, again, it depends on the state laws. Although my tires are sticking out about 5 inches past my flares... :shock:

Back