Cherokee with soft brakes

Glamissand1

I have an 88 cherokee limited with a soft brake pedal. The first half goes down with little effort, leaving the bottom half to do the stopping. I have changed the master cylinder (bench Bled), replaced the old brake hoses, and bled the system again. I hear others complaining of soft brakes, maybe we can get a shout out for all with soft brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glamissand1 - I've moved your post to it's own thread so we can help you get this squared away.

Are you able to pump your brakes up? Meaning that if you pump them 2 or 3 times they feel good, then hold it down and it goes to the floor?

When you bled the system, did you do all four tires? I like to start with the tire that's farthest from the master cylinder (the pass rear normally), the the other rear wheel, and finally move to the front.

I'm a big fan of these speed bleeders - they make things alot easier:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56202_101.htm

Did this problem creep up, or did you purchase the Jeep like this?

They do pump up and hold, and i did bleed farthest to closest. I did buy it in the condition ( i drive a f250sd daily so my reference is set high). My wrangler had solid brakes also. I have a vacume tool with a bleed canister. When bench bleeding the master cylinder i noticed the front brake resevoir not pushing fluid thru my tubing, as the rear pumped every time. I think it maybe a symtom of not having the cap on.

check the wheel cylinders one may have a bad seal or maybe one of rubber brake lines is cracked check all connections for wet spots or just lots of air in lines

But now ive bleed all the brakes again and again, no change. Wondering if a 90 YJ booster and master is a direct bolt in.

took the master off my 90yj and all seems good and well. dont worry the yj is getting a bbc and wont need the stock unit.

Back