Chev blower motor

Craig

RE: Automatic or Manual?

Hey, I've been wanting to do a chev heater blower motor install for the past two years now but just haven't got around to going to the scrap yard to strip one from a chev. Found out something interesting today. Went to an autoparts store just to check out heater blower motors and guess what I found.... the replacement part number for my YJ is the same as the 70's chev's replacement part number. They are actually listing a chev blower motor as the replacement for the one in my YJ. It's only $28 Canadian for a brand new one. Now I don't have to go to the scrap yard and strip one from a chevy and it's new and warrantied. Anyone interested in doing this upgrade might want to look into buying one new rather than stripping one from a wreck. It might cost a little more than a wrecker but it'll save you a lot of time and it's new and warrantied.

Let us know what difference it makes. Wouldn't mind giving the mrs. some more heat in her YJ.

mud

I won't be doing it till the weather warms up and stops raining because I don't have a garage to work in....my condo complex has some stupid rule of no mechanical work allowed on vehicles in the underground parking for some reason. I'll have to go to my dad's place when I get time but since his garage is a wood shop, all I have is the driveway....man I need a garage of my own! I'll post the results with some pics when I get it done.

I Found TC

Thiis old news. The motors are identical for the chevy. The aftermarket caught on fianly and quit making the tiny one for the jeep. You will still have to cut a bigger whole in your fire wall to make it fit just like in any write up you ever read. Only thing that changed is now you can say jeep in stead of chevy at the parts counter. I did this about 6 months ago. Prety easy mod and well worth it. I would recomend using a robozip to cut the whole in the fire wall. That made it real easy.

RE: drive train problem

pushead said:
I would recomend using a robozip to cut the whole in the fire wall. That made it real easy.
A robozip?...never heard of em. I'll probably use my dremel which I'm assuming is the same thing.

Craig said:
pushead said:
I would recomend using a robozip to cut the whole in the fire wall. That made it real easy.
A robozip?...never heard of em. I'll probably use my dremel which I'm assuming is the same thing.

I spelled it wrong its a rotozip. Not robo

Dremel will work good to if you dont have a rotozip. The zip is faster though and designed to cut holes. It is usaly use on drywall and wood products.

Also when you take out the old motor try and remove the rubber seal the seats between teh fire wall and the motor very carefully. Your new motor will not come with one. If its in good shape you can slowly peel it off. I would also recomend getting some rtv sealent. You will want to seal up any gaps left and cover up the newly cut metal. If you have any questions just let me know. But it realy is a easy job.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=cccgadddkggkhekcgelceffdfgidgki.0&MID=9876

RE: help me eyeball this ebay jeep!

Deeeezam..I thought this was a thread about a Chevy Blower Motor as in V-8.

the autozone part is PM102. I did some driving for them last year. Our local autozone sold that part for about $17 and it was not listed for the YJ. The YJ blower motor was in the $35-45 price range

It's been a while since I've been into the dash. To get to the hole in the firewall for the blower motor do I have to take out the whole dash or can I get to it just by removing the heater assembly under the dash? I've taken out my whole dash before, it's not that difficult but in order to do this I had to fold down my windshield to get at the bolts. I'm hoping I don't have to fold down the windshield because I have my hard top on right now and it's a pain to seal out the wind noise. If I do have to fold it down, I'll just wait a few months till I put my soft top back on to do the blower motor.

You can just remove the assembly. You may have to pull the gauge cover off to get to the heater control unit. I dont remember. EIther way its a very easy job. 1 hour max.

RE: Rusted floor

Got it all in today with no problems....till I fired it up. Damn thing keeps blowing fuses! I tested it before I installed it and it worked fine. I think I know what the problem is though. The new blower motor has the plug for power sticking straight out the back. I think when I tightened the assembly back onto the firewall, it squished the power plug grounding it out. Gonna have to pull the whole thing back out tomorrow and heat shrink wrap the entire plug. Other than this minor problem (I hope), everything went good. The heater assembly came out with no problems. The blazer blower motor bolted right up into the existing holes from my old motor. The new motor has only 1 wire connection instead of 2 like the old. Just had to ground the second wire from the jeep to the body of the blower motor. Cut the hole in the firewall with an air grinder...took about 5 minutes and had it all back together in just over an hour. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's only a grounding issue with the fuses blowing. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Piss me off!!! It snows like 5 days a year here in Vancouver and the 1 day that I don't have a heater and need to fix it, it snows! Looks like I'm gonna have to try and do it tomorrow before work...it's supposed to be clear, I hope.

Another Set Back!!!!!!!

For those looking for blower motors I got mine at O'Rilleys for $14.00 just tell them you want the blower motor for a 77 blazer with out air conditioning.

RE: Welding

If I ever get to replacing my heater core.. i'll be doing that too.. my heater seems to be working a lot better this year than last year

Back