Chevy 350 Conversion

ExtremeJeepYJ

Hey i was wondering if anybody out there could answer a few quick questions before i get ready to start this conversion on monday.

1) Will the jeep power-steering pump and steering box adapt to the 350?

2) What size distributor should i use? are the all-in-one distributors that have an internal coil to big to fit or are they ok? or is it just better to get a smaller distributor with an external coil?

Thanks for the help
image-missing.png
[addsig]

What year jeep is this 350 going into?

I was able to use the same power steering pump when I put a 350 in my '88 YJ, just had to get a power steering bracket from the junkyard, I think a GM van, and modify it. It had 3 mounting tabs, and the top tab interfered with the neck on the power steering resevoir. I cut that tab off and used the other two.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

its a 91, with a stock 2.5L engine...what about the distributor? the one i ordered is from summit and the mechanic doing the job thought it might be to big since it has the coil inside it, he said i might have to use a smaller distributor or cut the firewall...any clues?[addsig]

a quick question...is it cheaper just to buy an old truck with a 350 small block in it ( that way you have all the exhaust components, starter alternator...rad??you get the picture) or to buy the motor and work from there??? thanks in advance chris
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Depends, my jeep is a daily driver so i went with a reman engine and all new components, its a bit more pricy but also more reliable, the exhaust components dont matter, you're going to need a set of shorty conversion headers to make it fit, and a custom bent exhaust, along with custom built drive shafts. if i can say one thing its make sure you've got more then enough money before you start, from the initial budget i set myself on i've already met, and I'm about to exceed it, havent even started working on it yet...ouch.

Anyway, anybody with info on adapting the alternator / power steering pump, and any info about the distributor feel free to speak up.

Thanks[addsig]

Im not sure about adapting all that stuff because i went with a "drop in" motor that was reman but came with all the goodies, distributor fit, moved the engine slightly forward to allow for the clearance and shortened the fan shroud a little[addsig]

All I know is with my jeep..82' CJ7 we just cut away a little bit of the firewall and the 350 cu. in. engine fit perfectly. Just be aware of the extra vaccuum lines that have no where to connect to.[addsig]

I used the smaller distributer with external coil, otherwise probably have to massage the firewall to get the cap on and off, and to keep it from rubbing.

I had to get a GM starter, and the Jeep alternator worked with a GM bracket since it was an ACDelco alternator. Don't know what you'll do if you have the NipponDenso alternator on newer Jeeps.

I don't know which steering pump came on '91, so it depends on that. If you have the pump/resevoir combo, it should work with the right GM bracket.[addsig]

im not to familiar with power steering pumps so i dont know what you mean by the pump resevoir combo, but where i add p.s. fluid and where the pump is isnt the same place so im guessing its not the combo, i think i'll just go ahead and get a GM one, as far as the firewall goes, i'd really like to be able to use the all in one distributor/coil that i already have, just to save on time and shipping costs, is it neccesarily bad to trim away part of the firewall? how much would have to be cut?[addsig]

You didn´t mention what you were going to do for cooling, just an idea, if this summer you have problems. I found a fan out of a BMW sedan with air (bought two for $50) it pushes instead of pulls (two speed) and really sings. Mounted it between the grill and radiator. Had to move the radiator back about an inch. Got rid of the mechanical fan and shroud. Working on the front of the motor is a snap now.[addsig]

i got a 350 conversion radiator from 1800radiator, all i know is that its a 4 core radiator, i'd like to beable to remove the mechanical fan and fan shroud, that sounds like a good idea mudder...thanks[addsig]

The motor position will determine if the distributor cap will hit or not and a 1" body lift will help as well.[addsig]

Back