Cj 5 help with manifold and back fire

tonsoffun_77

I just bought a '77 cj5 304 v8, and the po installed headers, (couldnt tell you what kind) and at the manifold is leaking really bad, the po also put the black goo all over, going to replace with new gaskets tom or the next. buut i have a few questions.
1) idles decent, but when you get on it, and switch gears it back fires especially with high rpms?
2) i heard of doubling the exhaust manifold gastkets to help better seal?
3) whats up with the black goo? do i need to seal it when i put gaskets back on?

I never use any sealers on the exaust manifold gaskets. Just install them dry and free of oil. if the manifold is warped, then that would be a cause for a repeat gasket failure. As for the backfiring, check the timing and make sure that the carburator is clean and adjusted properly. Make sure theres no vac. leaks as well..

going to get around the timing issue in a couple days hopefully, what about doubling the gaskets two on either side?

Okay, this is funny to me, i just noticed your in the same town im in. lol.. As for doubling the gasket, No.. If anything else it will make it a weaker area for the seal to do its job.. Where in kerrville are you at?

haha ya i tried to message you the other day but it said something like didnt have enough post since new...i live here in kerrville, by super s..

At harper road area?.. Give me a Buzz 377-2361 and i'll take a look at your Jeep and help you figure it out when i get off work.

well the jeep is located out towards harper about 6 miles past I-10 at my dads, i actually just picked this jeep up today, but if still interested i sure will call you tom!!kinda learning as i go..

Yeah man you bet.. Lets shoot for friday after 5:30 or 6:00 or whenever i leave work.. It's no biggie to go and check it out and see what we can do to fix it up..

Cool man.. You would still have to post your progress here though so someone else may benefit from the info..

Alright..working and sounds alot better, put gaskets on exhaust manifold, valve covers, new plugs, opil and filter, working pretty decent...prob needs timing and adjustment on carb..

I think i have a timing light in the back of my jeep. we can work on that when i get off work.

Back