CJ wiring harness

I've been doing a lot of ebaying looking to find me a wiring system and i'll proboly end up using the painless wiring harness, but i cant see spending 400 bucks or whatever it cost to buy one so im just waiting to find one on ebay for cheap. I got till June to get it so theres no rush for me, good luck on yer wiring adventure though! I would go with the painless wiring kit and rip out all that wiring you got now, sounds like a mess. Watch what your doing though, that 350 you got in your jeep might have some different connections than what the wiring harness comes with, but im sure its not something you can easily mod. :D

Went Wheelin in 2wd today !!!!!!!!! Boy what a blast........

update...

well im definitely not gonna get the painless harness. i got a new dash for xmas and when i took the old one out, i took out a lot of xtra wiring. which behind it all wasnt that bad. it was probably rewired once or twice. in putting back everything to where its supposed to be run into a few snags if anyone has the wisdom.

first, the tach and the clock both need orange and black. lights i assume. the harness doesnt seem to be set up for it. can i splice the orange and black from the existing wiring?

second, the power for the clock isnt there so cani just rig up the cigarette lighter to power the clock(dont need the cig lighter)

third, in my diagram it shows a link between the temp and the fuel, i assume this is the ground?? the diamgram doesnt show any wires besides the link. what can i use to bridge the two and do the need to be wired in?

finally, i found a clip with a yellow,puple, and black. i cant find it on my diagrams and dont think they came off anything in the old dash. hane no idea what its for.

i found a home for everything else so i home to get it runnin this weekend. if anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

joe

Hi again, jeeperjoe,

I will have to refer to my manuals to answer most of your questions regarding the wiring colors, but for now and as regards this question:

jeeperjoe wrote:

...third, in my diagram it shows a link between the temp and the fuel, i assume this is the ground?? the diagram doesnt show any wires besides the link. what can i use to bridge the two and do the need to be wired in?

That link is not a ground. That link connects the nominal 5-6 Volts produced within the gas gauge by a vibrator power supply and routes or connects that voltage to the temp gauge.

The fuel and temp gauges actually are 6-Volt gauges. Within the gas gauge is a vibrator or "switching" power supply which is used to drop the system 12-Volts down to 5 or 6 Volts, pulsating DC. This is why both gauges are smoked when that internal vibrator power supply fails in the "closed" position. When that happens, the full 12-Volts is applied to both gauges and they become burnt toast.

Here is a picture of the back of a CJ speedo cluster showing that link in place.

image-missing.png

The pin-outs for the fuel and temp gauges of your CJ are as follows:

Fuel Gauge S Terminal - pink wire (from fuel sender)
Fuel Gauge A Terminal - 12v side of Jumper/Regulator Strip to temperature gauge
Fuel Gauge I Terminal - red wire (ignition-on hot 12v)

*** Temperature Gauge A Terminal - Jumper from fuel gauge A terminal (Jumper Strap regulated to 5v) ***

Temperature Gauge S Terminal - Purple wire (from temperature sender)

Regards,

Gadget

thanks gadget,

do you think i could use a piece of wire to make this link? i dont have the original piece and dont see it in any of my catalogs. or maybe someone knows where i can get a factory link?

Something has changed in the way I do jeepz

Hi Joe,

You are welcome and...Yep...you can use a wire to make the link or jumper that connects the gas and temp gauges. That jumper looks pretty sturdy in the pic, so as a precaution, I would use a thicker (lower gauge number) wire.

As regards the rest of your questions in your 04 Jan post which I promised to look up:

first, the tach and the clock both need orange and black. lights i assume. the harness doesnt seem to be set up for it. can i splice the orange and black from the existing wiring?

Yes. Orange and black wires are used for gauge and dash indicator power and grounding purposes, respectively. You should be able to splice into the existing dash wiring of the same colors for illuminating the tach and clock.

second, the power for the clock isnt there so cani just rig up the cigarette lighter to power the clock(dont need the cig lighter)

Yes, but you might think about splicing into the lighter power feed to power the clock rather than disconnecting and removing the cigarette lighter. The lighter socket might be useful as a general purpose power outlet for a cell phone power cord or some other portable 12-volt gadget or gizmo.

finally, i found a clip with a yellow,puple, and black. i cant find it on my diagrams and dont think they came off anything in the old dash. hane no idea what its for.

I cannot help with this last question. I too found nothing in my wiring diagrams related to that combination of wire colors.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gadget

Back