Cj5 axle info???

kingmega

i have a 79 cj5 would like to find some info on a some what easy why to give it alittle more width are the axles in a cj7 longer then the cj5 has anyone done some kind of axle upgrade to make it wider any info would be great thanks

i done a wide track D30 to the front and a 8.8 from a 2001 explore to the rear ,this gave me plenty of width used adapters on the rear to keep the same bolt pattern,also got rear disc brakes with the 8.8 and limited slip,great axle combo and tough ,barnes4x4.com has the conversion kit for the axle swap for the 8.8,i'm also running 15x10 wheels ,the rear is alittle wider than a stock TJ jeep

If you only needed or wanted a few inches you could use wheel spacers. I have been debating them on my 80 CJ5 becasue my wheels do not have enough off set and hit my frame on tight turns. There is great debate on their safety though. Some guys swear by them and other guys swear at them. You can get a pair for $150 or less though.

i already have spacers had the same problem with tires rubbing frame no big deal i just want to go wider problem is i'm kind've new to the jeep world and don't know much about dana diffs. whats what which is which exc. was lookin for idea's and i got some good one's thanks

go to a wide track d30,years i think are 82-86 cj's and go to a 8.8 out of a ford explorer 2001 and up,it gives you disc brakes and limited slip and most are 4.10 or 3.73 gears

the front and rear deff ratio,s have to match in order for the 4x4 to work right. right?

Back