cj5 to cj7

DooBop

I have a cj7 I'm restoring, will the wheels, grill guard, bumpers, and other custom accessories from a cj5 fit my project or is there a difference in the widths and mounts on the two Jeeps?

The only difference is the body lenghts as long as your using a "76-"83 CJ5. The CJ7 has a 10" longer wheelbase than the CJ5 making the top & doors different. The earlier CJ5s had different frames so there are some more differences.

If the CJ5 is a 1976 or later you should be OK. From about 71 to 75 I'm pretty sure the frame is different, although those custom parts may still fit (76 is the first year of the CJ7 and the "new" CJ frame) The earlier short nose CJ5s (around 1970 and earlier) had much different frames. The wheels will fit as long as they came off a CJ5 with disk brakes. The earlier CJ5 wheels (before disk brakes) will not fit on a CJ7 with disks due to backspacing. There were some CJ7s made with drums but most had disk. The tape measure is your friend before you make any decisions. Best of luck - John

Thanks for the wisdom don't think my plan will work but no money spent no harm no foul. See you guys on the trail!

Back