cj6

jeep freek

hi.i was just wondering about something.i picked up a 1973 cj6.but the body is not that long.looks more like a cj5.it doesnt have that long look to the body.it has 22000 miles on it.checked the serial number and it says its a cj6.did bthey make 2 different body lengths.im not up on the cj6.cant seem to find out much info on them .any help would be greatley appreciated.regards jim. ps the drivers seat has some small rips.does anyone know if org style covers are available anywhere.thankyou jim.

The Cj 6 body length was 101" and I think the five was 81" a whole 20" longer. You should see a big difference in the length between the two and a 5 wouldn't fit cause of the frame and wheel location.

hi lance.that is what i thought.but when i check the vin no it tells me that it is cj6 made in toledo.i got this jeep from the org owner and he says he bought it as a cj6.just a little bit miffed on this.the jeep came out of his barn.remarkable condition.regards jim.

Well if it saids it's a 6 and the Vin saids the same thing, no argument here. but you gotta post some pics of the beauty. I am also looking to get my hand on one. I have an 84 Cj 7 now and I would sell or trade for one if I come across it. Congrats and don't forget the pics.

Might be a typo at the DMV or might be a reVIN'd Jeep. The CJ6 should have a lap joint welded right into the body just behind the doors. They stretched the body by spotwelding on "part of an other body". You can even see the "doorway" cut out in the welded piece. There should be a lap seam behind the doors at this point. The M170 version even had the civvi gas filler blank-off at the door (like a later CJ5) and placed the military gas filler further back. No matter, though... It's a nice Jeep and a good find. Best of luck - John

If it truly is a CJ6, you shouldn't need a VIN to tell you. Those things were LONG!!!! Put's the new unlimiteds to shame! It should be obvious visually.

hi guys.you wont believe this.checked the dash serial again and checked the data tag on the firewall.serial no j3f835ta74108.this says its an 84 wheelbase and the model is cj6.it must of got screwed up in the factory.i bought the jeep from the orignal owner on friday.i will get my daughter to post the pictures when she gets home from work.regards jim 613 623 6156

It's usually pretty easy to tell a 6:
stephensjeepJPG-1.jpg

hi.i realize its a cj5 jeep.but when you look at the tag on the dash and the one on the firewall you see it denotes as being a cj6.it is a mistake from the factory.got a young lad to take the pictures from the 2a site.my daughter posted them earlier today there.i cant seem to post pictures yet so i got him to move them over somehow.i talked to the org owner who bought it new.he is going to try and find the org bill of sale.he bought it as a cj6.as soon as i saw the jeep in his barn i figured it to be a cj5.he was adamant that its a cj6.i didnt argue with him.its when i got home i realized the reason by the serial no.regards jim.

That's not a CJ6. Did you check for the number on the frame? They should be stamped on top of the frame in the motor bay, passanger side. Also, I would look and see if the dash with the VIN numbers on it might have been transplanted, check to see if it has been repainted (look on the back for a different color.)

hi done that.jeep was bought new.the guy i got it from is 80 years old.it was used around his summer property.all serial no put it as a cj6 when in fact it is a cj5.this jeep has not been monkeyed around with.wellyou could say half and half because if you decipher the serial no it says its a 84inch wheel base which is a cj5 and on the other when you get to the model letter which is a t means cj6.bit of a mix from the factory.regards jim.they used it with the plow perioically to plow the lane when they came up in the winter.they eventually retired up there and bought a 4wdr tractor and a blower.jeep was seldom used after that.he is going to look for the bill of sale for me.regards jim.

Back