CJ7 Brake light issues

SKCrosby91

We'll it's the weekend again and a day of tinkering turns into finding issues with something else. My drivers side brake light doesn't work. Bulbs are fine, and with the headlights on it works fine. The blinker works fine, only problem is when I hit the brakes nothing happens on the drivers side. Passenger's side is 100% fine. I was thinking brake light switch but I honestly don't know where to find it to adjust or replace it. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

If the passenger side is fine, its not the switch. Check the ground in the housing and make sure the bulb is the right one

^ agree, take the bulb out and clean the socket good, they get corroded with that blueish looking stuff you see on car battery terminals. I have run into this problem a lot. There should also be a ground wire around the brake lights somewhere attached to the tub, make sure its good.

^ agree, take the bulb out and clean the socket good, they get corroded with that blueish looking stuff you see on car battery terminals. I have run into this problem a lot. There should also be a ground wire around the brake lights somewhere attached to the tub, make sure its good.

Bulb is good, no corrosion, cleaned it anyway. Ground is fine, might replace it anyway to see if it helps.

Bulb is good, no corrosion, cleaned it anyway. Ground is fine, might replace it anyway to see if it helps.

Hey for what my two cents are worth....... Check your ground for certain. Just because you have a ground wire screwed into the tub does not mean that is actually grounded (or ground well anyway). I'm going through this very problem on my project. Years of paint, corrosion (or treatment of) and dirt are interferring with some of the groundings.

Hey for what my two cents are worth....... Check your ground for certain. Just because you have a ground wire screwed into the tub does not mean that is actually grounded (or ground well anyway). I'm going through this very problem on my project. Years of paint, corrosion (or treatment of) and dirt are interferring with some of the groundings.

Will do, my tub is all fiberglass so everything is grounded to the frame. I'll check it out though and post my findings.

If passenger side brake light works, its not the switch. Its the bulb or a bad connection somewhere (power or ground). the switch is under the dash along the brake peddle arm. When you push the brake peddle it pushes a button on the switch, follow your peddle and you will find the switch.

Back