CJ7 LIGHTS

likleandy

I recently purchased a heavily altered 1979 CJ7 which did have working lights. Now they have gone crazy. I have no rear lights. (reverse, tail or signal) If I turn the egnition off the rear lights work, but very dim. Once the egnition is in the off position they no longer work. I'm able to get the reverse lights on one at a time by
either using the right or left turn signal. What wiring problem is causing the lights to do weird things?

well, i was wondering if someone tried to cut in, on the rear wires for a tow hitch, and screwed up! but you say that with the ignition off, you have dim lights& then you say with the ignition off[again] you have no lights, sorry, go out with a test light, and start all over.......did the lights work when you bought it?...is there alot of mice around?

willys is right you did mess up somewhere in the post. But it sounds like a bad ground somewhere. I would start off by making sure all of your grounds are good. Check the taillight grounds first. If they are good it is time to get the ohms meter out and start tracing it back till you find out what is wrong. One more thing what does the front lights do.

------------------
80 cj7, 304, auto, 33's,

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by willys:
well, i was wondering if someone tried to cut in, on the rear wires for a tow hitch, and screwed up! but you say that with the ignition off, you have dim lights& then you say with the ignition off[again] you have no lights, sorry, go out with a test light, and start all over.......did the lights work when you bought it?...is there alot of mice around?</font></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I purchased a test light and began to rewire every rear light. I now have all the lights working, however when I signal right all lights flash as hazzards. I noticed off the fuse box I get a response from 2 wires with the test light when signaling right and the left side is using one of those wires.
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by willys:
well, i was wondering if someone tried to cut in, on the rear wires for a tow hitch, and screwed up! but you say that with the ignition off, you have dim lights& then you say with the ignition off[again] you have no lights, sorry, go out with a test light, and start all over.......did the lights work when you bought it?...is there alot of mice around?</font></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

are you reviewing your messages, before you post them?? hows the light's working? ok, now with the key on, turn your left blinker on and hit all your wires exiting the fuse box, until the test light starts blinking! follow or replace that wire, and ill bet you will find the short...

[This message has been edited by willys (edited May 03, 2001).]

[Pontiac, you're exactly right; the grounds were the first place to start and one of my main problems. I'm almost successfully completed.QUOTE]Originally posted by pontiac58:
willys is right you did mess up somewhere in the post. But it sounds like a bad ground somewhere. I would start off by making sure all of your grounds are good. Check the taillight grounds first. If they are good it is time to get the ohms meter out and start tracing it back till you find out what is wrong. One more thing what does the front lights do.

[/QUOTE]

I already followed the left turn signal wire from the fuse box to the rear. I was successful at doing so. Should I replace that wire? What I did notice is from the fuse box I find 2 wires responding to the right signal and the left side is using one of those wires which makes all the lights blink when signaling right. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by willys:
are you reviewing your messages, before you post them?? hows the light's working? ok, now with the key on, turn your left blinker on and hit all your wires exiting the fuse box, until the test light starts blinking! follow or replace that wire, and ill bet you will find the short...

[This message has been edited by willys (edited May 03, 2001).]
</font></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by likleandy:
[Pontiac, you're exactly right; the grounds were the first place to start and one of my main problems. I'm almost successfully completed.QUOTE]Originally posted by pontiac58:
[b

Thank you thank you thank you. Ok now i will put my head back on the ground. If you havent figured it out yet. Start at the column and work your way to the fuse box. What you may find is a wire shorted in the colomn. It could be the blinker switch also but i would look for a wire first. just wondering if you have schematic if you dont email me and i will scan mine for you. Good luck

------------------
80 cj7, 304, auto, 33's,

I wont have a chance to work on the lights until 4pm, but I was just driving it and noticed only the left reverse light is working. All bulbs are fine, but as I said, the wiring is a mess. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by pontiac58:
Originally posted by likleandy:
[b

Thank you thank you thank you. Ok now i will put my head back on the ground. If you havent figured it out yet. Start at the column and work your way to the fuse box. What you may find is a wire shorted in the colomn. It could be the blinker switch also but i would look for a wire first. just wondering if you have schematic if you dont email me and i will scan mine for you. Good luck

Back