clicking sound in reverse????

edco64

i have a 1998 tj 4.0 with a 5 speed, i got a call from a friend who fell asleep and drove hise full size chev pickup deep into the ditch, so jeep off to the rescue, i had it in 4 low in reverse and was putting real hard and what felt like a chan sliping and sound, so i stopped pulling. any way now when ever i back up i hear a clicking sound and if i get going in reverse and put transfercase in nuteral it stops makeing sound. any clue as to what it is?

Is it only reverse that you here it or all gears. And did you pull him in reverse

Oh I see you said reverse have you CK all u- joints I busted one pulling a 4wd four door dodge truck out of mud I would start there

U joints are just a starting point that's cheap to fix I have had them make noise in 4wd but not 2 I have even had one make noise when turning and one just a shake with no noise it may end up being in your t case u do have a chain in it but most of the time it's something that is meet to be replaced like u joints if a cap is busted or bearings are compressed you may just put pressure on them only in reverse

Based on your description of the events prior to the noise I think you did some damage to either a gear or the chain in the t-case.

i have a 1998 tj 4.0 with a 5 speed, i got a call from a friend who fell asleep and drove hise full size chev pickup deep into the ditch, so jeep off to the rescue, i had it in 4 low in reverse and was putting real hard and what felt like a chan sliping and sound, so i stopped pulling. any way now when ever i back up i hear a clicking sound and if i get going in reverse and put transfercase in nuteral it stops makeing sound. any clue as to what it is?

You've chipped a tooth in the TC in the reverse cluster. Normal on the non-Dana 300 and Atlas TCs. Everything else--problematic, at best.

Fix: change the TC to a Dana 300 w/4:1. Or an Atlas 4 spd. TC. Or, for repair, sadly, replace the intermediate gear cluster in the idler cluster of the TC. Or, change that NP231 ASAP out totally.

Hope that is helpful along with everyone else's response.

Robert

There is no "reverse cluster" in a NP231 transfer case. While I will agree a chipped chain gear tooth or reverse transmission gear tooth is likely don't go looking or asking about a reverse gear cluster in a transfer case.
The D300 is a right hand drop case, TJ's have left hand drop F. axle. The adapter to flip and adapt a D300 to his AX15 is around $150 plus the cost of a D300, and the cost of an aftermarket shifter, and the cost of any driveshaft mods. Also it was mentioned to use a D300 with a 4:1 kit, this 4:1 kit costs around $700-800.
The Atlas, while a great transfercase the 4 speed version mentioned costs about $3000. So edco64 considering your TJ is stock and I will assume a DD either rebuild your 231 or buy a good used 231. The master rebuild kit runs about $200 which is about the going price for a good used NP231. While the above options are solution choices for your problem IMO they are just not worth the money in this case. The 231 is a good strong reliable transfercase, especially in a stock or mildly modded TJ. A few of us including myself are using the 231 with a SYE behind Cummins 4bt engines and in stock form this engine will make more torque than most stock big blocks. Next time you go puling stuff out of a ditch, use a winch.

Last edited:

thanks for al the info!! i am sure its the tc, but all is cause iam done paying child support in june ($500@mo) so i am trading my 1998 tj in for a 2007-2010 rubicon, i just test dove a 2009 and dealer will give me $7500 for my tj (with out the winch) so all is good!!!!!

There is no "reverse cluster" in a NP231 transfer case. While I will agree a chipped chain gear tooth or reverse transmission gear tooth is likely don't go looking or asking about a reverse gear cluster in a transfer case.
The D300 is a right hand drop case, TJ's have left hand drop F. axle. The adapter to flip and adapt a D300 to his AX15 is around $150 plus the cost of a D300, and the cost of an aftermarket shifter, and the cost of any driveshaft mods. Also it was mentioned to use a D300 with a 4:1 kit, this 4:1 kit costs around $700-800.
The Atlas, while a great transfercase the 4 speed version mentioned costs about $3000. So edco64 considering your TJ is stock and I will assume a DD either rebuild your 231 or buy a good used 231. The master rebuild kit runs about $200 which is about the going price for a good used NP231. While the above options are solution choices for your problem IMO they are just not worth the money in this case. The 231 is a good strong reliable transfercase, especially in a stock or mildly modded TJ. A few of us including myself are using the 231 with a SYE behind Cummins 4bt engines and in stock form this engine will make more torque than any stock big block. Next time you go puling stuff out of a ditch, use a winch.

You are correct. I went back and re-read my response and went, "Der-WTF??". Sorry about that. Lame and probably the heroin I'm on--haha. Jeez.......thanks for the correction. Must have confused transmission with TC--dumb. Oh well. Oh no, someone on the internet was wrong..........YIKES! (I always loved that in someone's signature years ago..ha!)

Anyhow, you are correct and yes, and that is why I use a winch to pull out really big things...........

vex_pull2-1.jpg

66,000 lb. Concrete Truck Pullout With VEX

Thanks,

Robert

Robert I was not trying to sound like I was insulting you, so my apologies if I sounded like that. Rather my intention was to keep the OP from embarrassing himself for asking for parts that don't exist, and to give him some idea on the cost of the options mentioned.
edco64 another internet opinion on rubicons they are not worth the inflated price. The front axle assembly is arguably the weakest D44 that Dana Corp ever made. Get a Sahara, Limited or something like that.

Robert I was not trying to sound like I was insulting you, so my apologies if I sounded like that. Rather my intention was to keep the OP from embarrassing himself for asking for parts that don't exist, and to give him some idea on the cost of the options mentioned.
edco64 another internet opinion on rubicons they are not worth the inflated price. The front axle assembly is arguably the weakest D44 that Dana Corp ever made. Get a Sahara, Limited or something like that.

Oh no, not at all. You were correct and I felt dumb after I re-read my post. I've been doing all this research on the Atlas TC, and messing with VEX and I got TC on the brain. Haha. No problem- it was my error totally and thank you for the correction, and hat is tipped to you, good man.

Too, its just easier to go as heavy as possible for everything, I have learned the hard way over all these years. So, your recommendation is correct.

Cheers,

Robert

Back