Clunking In Cherokee Rear

99Cherokee

I know alot of people have this problem but I have not seen many solutions.It happens sometimes when stopping mostly when starting from a stop,or final shift into overdrive,99 Cherokee Sport Auto 4.0 I brought to dealer they said it was normal but i think they suck so please help.....Steve
image-missing.png
null[addsig]

my Ex's '96 does it too. but I dont drive it much so it does not bother me
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey, my '97 sport XJ does it also!! When i'm coasting to a stop.

Wonder what it is????? Like a thumping noise, doesn't do it all the time though.

Puzzling.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I´ve noticed on many 35C rear ends, that the tolerance between the pinion and the ring gear is pretty loose (often) even when new. But it is usually a combination of things. A little here and a little there adds up. Put the parking brake on, transmission in neutral crawl underneath and twist the driveshaft at the pinion (diff) end left and right. This will give you an idea how much play there is. If there is little or no play, check the U-joints then the transfer case rear bushing. If everything is tight, then shake the driveshaft up and down at the pinion to check the pinion bearings. If it´s still tight, it´s probably the carrier bearing in the differntial, either worn or the wrong shim. Have also seen some pretty loose splines in the axles. The tolerances on the 35c arn´t what one would exspect from Dana. Maybe because they are bought by Jeep in peices and assemblied later.[addsig]

I HAVE YOUR ANSWER FOR ALL OF YOU!!!! What it is, is you slip yoke on your transfer case is sticking to your driveshaft. I had this same problem on my 90' XJ. What you need to do, step-by-step.

1) Buy some Anti-Sieze greese

2.) Remove the (4) 8mm bolts from driveshaft near rear axle by the U-joint (on Cherokee).

3) Lift up and slide driveshaft out of the transfer case.

4) Spead greese with finger thickly and evenly into spined area of the driveshaft, NOT THE OUTSIDE SMOOTH PART!!

5) Slide driveshaft back into t-case 6) Re connedt shaft to U-joint and replace the 4 bolts and you're all set.

BE SURE TO CHAUK TIRES AND USE PARKING BRAKE SO IT DOESNT ROLL AWAY, cause you dissconnect you transmission from the ground and PARK wont work. If you have any questions let me know....[addsig]

Back