Clunking in front end

97WhiteDragon

Hey guys, recently bought a 97 grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 inline6 (with the option of 2wd and 4wd). I'm new to the solid axle ways, and used to independent suspension.. Anyways, I notice that while in 4x4 (whether it's part-time or full-time) I get a clunking sound, and when I turn sharp it slows me right down and gets even louder. I would think this is the u-joints, but before i start spending money I thought I'd get someones opinion. Has anyone else had this situation before, and replaced the u-joints to fix the problem?

They're not that expensive, or very hard to do. I would just do them anyway just so I knew they were good. You can jack up the front end and jerk the wheels back and forth and usually tell from there if you want to.

Hey thanks guys, I figured it was the u-joints. And yea I'd do it.. But I have 2 jobs, no garage or shop, and not even many tools unfortunately.. And considering it's about -25 ( and that's warm for us in this month..) and alot of snow, I'd rather just get a mechanic to do it. Luckily for me, Ive got certificates for a bunch of free work at a local shop lol.

Think I should replace ALL u-joints just in case? I really think the problems directly in the front but, I suppose I might as well replace them all.

97WhiteDragon said:
Think I should replace ALL u-joints just in case? I really think the problems directly in the front but, I suppose I might as well replace them all.

If you can afford it, it couldn't hurt. I guess you might as well while your at it.

I'm at the shop as we speak, and got a quote of 250 bucks to fix ONE u-joint. That u-joint is horribly bad, I Knew it was bad but not that bad.. Not to mention, my Spector shaft? In my steering box, apparently is wearing out.. And they've quoted me around 500 bucks, for a remanufactuared one and that's installed. I love my jeep but damn, it's costing me tons.. Atleast after that, so far that's the only problems they can see.

You probably have it done already but just my thoughts.
U joints sell for $20 and up depending on brand. What your paying for is labor and that quote is not that bad because it is time consuming. I would suggest that you try to get him to do both front axles for say $400 every things negotiable. The best advice from me is to do both anyway, If one goes the other may. I'm not saying it will but its possible. With that said I did my own and the worst part was getting the hub off. There are tricks for that though (I learned them on this forum) isn't this place awesome? So it took me about four hours, a few brewskys, and I think $30 for ujoint and a can of grease. It was about 70 degrees out and I had fun doing it. Its a jeep thing. I did not do both sides becous of time and the other was nice and stiff anyway, and after I got it alined its been just ducky. Good luck and keep Jeepin.

Last edited:
Wow. That does sound spends, but at least you know it will be all good when its done. That's the bright side. I have never really taken in any of my vehicles to be repaired. I figure, if one man can do it, then so can I. Lol.... that's even the only reason that I know how to weld, or any other mechanical knowledge. If you break something once, chances are it'll happen again down the road sometime, and id like to know how to do it myself. Of course, without a garage or shop its kinda hard to do. Glad you got it fixed man. Happy jeepin!

A shop would be nice, I do all my work in the driveway. My rolling toolbox is in the cellar so thats a PITA. But with a Haynes book and good tools I'm happy.

I haven't always been lucky enough to have a shop and a garage. I just recently moved into a house that has both. I don't know how I lasted so many years without em, but you gotta do with what you can. I've replaced many water pumps, alternators, wheel bearings, and CV joints on the sides of roads. Not fun, but you sure do learn how to get stuff done quickly that way! lol

I was gonna get both fixed but the drivers was great condition, but the crazy thing is me getting it done professionally, saved me that bill being tripled because it was in SUCH bad condition, it was almost startin to mess up my axle. Either way, a "splicer" u-joint was installed and she rides great now, with warranty on it too. The only thing I need to do now, is give it a transmission flush, oil change, and eventually replace that steering box.

Back