Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders

erhild

I know one of them is currently Tango Uniform (Tits Up for you non-military types)

How do I tell which one???

If I pump the clutch, I can eventually get enough pressure to disengage the clutch...

Worst part of this was: I was suddenly clutchless when i was 3/4 of the way up a very rocky & steep hill climb this last weekend...

:-D [addsig]

those are usually best replaced as a set. you wouldn't want to go through the trouble of changing the slave only to have the deteriorating master contaminate it.

just a thought.[addsig]

Look under the jeep at the bell houseing area to see if there is any fluid leaking that would be a bad slave. Look on the fire wall inside the jeep and under the hood to see if there is a leak there. If it is the slave I think you are going to have to drop the transmission and xcase so get your ducks in a row. If your clutch is really old go ahead and do this at the same time to stop the maddness. Dealer wanted 185.00 for a slave here and I got mine from NAPA for 135.00. I hope this helps and best of luck in the repairs. Tug[addsig]

The clutch master cylinders rarely go bad, not so for the clutch slave. The clutch slave is likely your culprit, so change it and your clutch.

Unfortunately you have the internal slave, so it can't be changed without removing the transmission and transfer case, and might as well do the clutch if you're doing all that.

Check out Carolina Clutch, they have a clutch and slave kit for the '91 for about $150, and it's a LUK clutch, about the best OEM replacement you can get.[addsig]

My clutch in my 87 yj went for a crap, much the same as yours did. It turned out to be the plunger in the master cylinder. It was relatively inexpensive to replace and it was fairly easy to do. I would start by checking that. The slave cylinder, however, is a lot of work.[addsig]

I am gonna rebuild the Master, it's cheap and easy... If that fixes it, I will run like that til it's nicer and I can ride my Suzuki to work everyday, at which time I can take the time to change the Slave out...

Thanx for the help...[addsig]

USEFULL TIP#1: :cool:
(this happened to me)
When you buy a new slave cylinder make sure that the 2 "U" shaped pins that "hold" the steel hoses connected to the slave cylinder are bent so the cant come out.

It is REALLY SHITTY when you just installed the new slave and your driving down the main street when you suddenly try to shift into 3rd and you lose all pressure!!!.. :-O

The best part is when you have to re-do (or have a garage) the whole job and the auto parts shop do not want to pay for labor even though they sold you this crappy part that HAD to eventually fail on you when your driving and most likely cause an accident! :-x

Good luck!
Dan

edited by: DannyBlaze, Mar 25, 2003 - 10:40 PM[addsig]

UPDATE: It's the master cylinder for sure... Got brake fluid everywhere under the hood and under the dash...

Also, even though the parts store will sell you a rebuild kit, you can't rebuild a stock cluthc master cylider on a 91-95 Wrangler... I had to buy a new one...[addsig]

Back