converting a.c. pump

duff

who out there has converted their a.c. pump into a on-board air compressor? the stock set up on my 84 cj-7 is all there and i want to use it for something useful. { a.c. on a jeep????} any help would be very cool.[addsig]

I'd like to know as well since I don't plan on doing a refrigerant changover from the old R-12. I's sure we'd need a small tank and a pressure relief valve so as not to blow the tank................Bullet[addsig]

72 that site is cool, I appreciate that. It looks like i'll be playing around with that this spring.................Bullet[addsig]

its a long but not tough process.... i could make a write-up here.. but the websites would give much better detail with pics... if you go to the site 72cj5 sent... you will see obiwan's conversion/install... its pretty good... just make sure that if you use a stock compressor.. you have to have an oiling mechanism on it or it will die fast... i plan on doing that with a compressor from a honda... thats about all those cars are good for, taking apart and putting the parts to good use[addsig]

Hey duff (hmmmm beer hehe) you can probably do it very easily on your CJ. Some of the older jeeps with the AMC engines had YORK A/C compressors stock. The York is the one you want anyway.[addsig]

correct me if I am wrong, but don't the old yorks have an oil reservoir in them. If that is true why would you need an external oiling device. I could see needing something with a newer compressor where they don't have the oil reservoir built into them. [addsig]

Yes it is true that the Yorks have a built in oil reservoir. Unless you have a York you WILL need an external oiler.[addsig]

its a good thing that jeeps have much room under the hood... a york is enormous... but they work quite well.[addsig]

Snitty, Just out of curiosity, what are you going to use for an external oiling device. I would really like to hear what your plans are for hooking up the honda compressor.

:)
Nate[addsig]

I'll be building my own brackets out of angle iron... basically... any compressor is just about the same as the next... most new compressors are Sanden compressors. I will make my bracket to fit in the stock AC location. For lubrication... the local hardware store has a kit including an in-line lubricator, seperator, regulator, and 6 point manifold. the lubricator goes between the intake filter and the inlet valve. The seperator goes after the pump and before the manifold. The manifold splits the lines to go to the regulator, tank, front and back lines, gauge, pressure switch, and safety valve. most people don't use, or need, a regulator... I will be using that for my air shocks. It won't require much oil... a regular in-line air tool lubricator will do the trick just fine, most good grade oils should work as well... i've read that 10w30 motor oil works great. any other questions... just ask[addsig]

Yeah I run regular 10w30 in my York and it keeps it well lubricated. The only real problem that I have encountered is with heat. At high rpm (2K) that sucker sure gets hot...I wonder if I could setup some kind of fan to keep it cool...[addsig]

I was thinking of using the condenser from the AC unit or even a heater core set up in front of the radiator or a similar high wind spot to use for a compressor intake cooler. one side would go to a filter, the other to the compressor... this way... instead of using hot engine bay air.... it would be cooled before entering the compressor... which would in turn cool the compressor[addsig]

that sounds like a really good set up. Thank you for the information. I am going to try the setup, but I will probably use the york style setup do to the fact that I can snag one from work for next to nothing, compared to the price of the newer ones!!![addsig]

thanks for the info, i'll try it in the spring. [WAY TO COLD out here in central Mass.] [addsig]

I've done it. Probably 18yrs ago now! Still using it! :-D Still runs & operates great!

While wheeling up in elevation, the pop-off valve (set at 150psi) occasionally blows off excess pressure due to elevation changes. First couple times, scares some stuff into my shorts! Big mechanical FART under my jeep? I'm thinking something just ruptured! (when it would happen) but then I'd realizde it was only the pop-off valve reliving pressure. :lol:

[addsig]

Back