Coolant on the interior?!?!

LtFuzz

So i go to take my jeep for a spin through the park yesterday, and i notice that the carpet on the passenger side looks damp....i figured it was just a spill or somethin and i took out the carpet and let it dry and went on my way...i go to get in my jeep today and notice the passenger side of the tub has a big puddle of coolant! and the coolant resivoir is bone dry....HELP :!: :!: :!:

Time to replace the heater core! Pain in the but and little more than 50 buck parts, Might think of up grade onthe blower motor to a 79 blazer unit while you are in there. tug

Tug-n-pull said:
Time to replace the heater core! Pain in the but and little more than 50 buck parts, Might think of up grade onthe blower motor to a 79 blazer unit while you are in there. tug

Upon further inspection i found that my Heated air tube is missing....i have a feeling that was the problem and i ordered a new one from the Jeep Dealership today....do u think thats the cause?

no, it draws heat from the manifold to the choke to warm it up...i had the theory that since the hot air had nowhere to go (lack of hot air tube) that it kinda just sat in the engine compartment, causing it to heat up more, causing more coolant to be used, and somehow the extra stuff wound up in the cabin

~Fuzz

what exactly would that entail....i'm startin to run low on funds....i just replaced my rear axle and clutch master cylinder a lil while back, is it somethin a semi-expierenced person can do at home? Also, how long can i go without changin it? thanks

~Fuzz

You have to remove the heater box from the firewall on the engin side. Unhook all the controls and then the core will be exposed. Un hook the radiator heater hoses and remove the core. 50 bucks avarage for a core and replace it and put everything back and there you have it. Bandaid and not a good one is to run some stop leak through the system and hope it clogs the hole and not the rest of the motor nooks and crannys. good luck tug

Anyone in NorCal want to show a newb around the dirt?

I don't know what type of Jeep you have, but I took out the heater box of my CJ a few weeks ago to fix something. It wasn't bad at all. Just about 4 nuts on the firewall, the three cables, and the heater hoses. Once you get it out it would be a cinch to swap the core. I imagine if you can't spare the time/funds and you don't need a heater, you could disconnect the heater hoses from the core and splice them together under the hood, thus bypassing the core and stopping the leak. I don't think it should hurt anything, but I'm no professional.

Hei/nutter bypass mods

No problem with looping it just wouldn't have heat/defrost......I hear that some folks kinda like that stuff. 8)

Back