Coolant sensor

keith

Hi folks. Can anyone tell me how to replace the coolant temp sensor in my 88 wagoneer I6 4.0? I thought I would find the connector near the thermostat housing, but no luck. I found something similar, but it was on the intake, and I don't think that was it. Do I have to take the housing off of the thermostat? (Meaning also the need to replace the gasket?) Was'nt prepared for this. Damn haynes book sucks. It don't go into detail. Just says disconnect wire and unscrew it. Thanks!

AHA!! After cursing and racking my brains, I found my coolant temp sensor......driver side on radiator. I evidently bought the wrong one:( The current one has very bad wire on it, burnt to a crisp, from the last radiator. I would have thought when my mechanic replaced the radiator, he would have said something about replacing it then and there. This thing caused me much grief over failing my emissions, causing my fuel mix to be extremely rich. Damn, I just changed the oil, and it smells like gas again. OY!
So, for anyone out there who can't find their coolant sensor, those with factory air have it on the radiator.... happy Jeepin', folks!

AHA!! After cursing and racking my brains, I found my coolant temp sensor......driver side on radiator. I evidently bought the wrong one:( The current one has very bad wire on it, burnt to a crisp, from the last radiator. I would have thought when my mechanic replaced the radiator, he would have said something about replacing it then and there. This thing caused me much grief over failing my emissions, causing my fuel mix to be extremely rich. Damn, I just changed the oil, and it smells like gas again. OY!
So, for anyone out there who can't find their coolant sensor, those with factory air have it on the radiator.... happy Jeepin', folks!

Holy crap...update. went to replace the wrong part with yet another wrong part. they keep calling the cts radiator fan sensor, and it does the same thing as the cts' that are on the t stat, or block, or where ever else they put them. Apparently, my jeep was an early model, and they changed the location from the radiator to elsewhere. So, trying to find the right part from a supplier is tough. NAPA is supposed to get the right part in a few days. The radiator sensor is wayyy bigger(1")
than the part that I was sold, auto store argued that no, I am wrong, we gave the right part to you. So, I was able to show the guy at NAPA, no, it's not the right part. He apologized, and found the part listed under radiators. I have been to two stores to get the parts, Advance and NAPA. Advance argued that they gave me the right part. Then I went to NAPA, got the wrong part again, but now they should have the right one. Advance parts don't go that far back.
I also called up a dealership and he was helpful to the fact that he told me where my sensor was, but was'nt able to get the part. It was the dealer that said go online, or call NAPA. Cross my fingers...

Back