couple 'dumb' questions from a newbie

FITZER

Ok, quite new to this Jeep thing. Just picked up an '89 YJ.

Question 1 - I'd like to do a V-8 swap someday. But apparantly the rear axle won't hack it, but one from a '96ish Explorer will. My question is, it must be next to impossible to find an Exploder with 4:10 gears? I know a 350 would have the power to turn a higher ratio, but lower gearing would be nice.

Question 2 - Nothing seems to be said about the front axle. Does the front end handle the extra power?

Thanks for now, as I'm sure there will be more to come! Lol.

If you think about it, when going through the trouble of swapping in a V8 and an 8.8, what's a little more effort in swapping in a front Dana 44.

Since you have a YJ, you can find an old Ford 4x4 and take out those axles. I think they should be a 9 inch and a 44. Where are you located?

I will answer both your questions with one answer..

If your serious about putting the effort into putting a 350 into your jeep, don't cheap out. you can use a 8.8, you can use the D30, but chances are they will break. throw as much money at those axles as you want and yes, they will be stronger, and yes they will last longer, By the time you upgrade the rear shafts, C-clip eliminator, new gears, lockers, brakes, front shafts bigger U-joints.. at that point you would be at the same cost as a set of beefy axles like 9"'s and D60's that in stock form can handle the same if not more than a polished 1/4 ton axle.

SO... my suggestion would be a D44 front and a 9" rear minimum with a healthy V8 and be confident you won't be "that guy" on the trail.

Back