couple minor issues with 97 XJ

Nhguy

the two issues are somewhat minor(one more then other)

1st -- can't seem to figure why i can't get the washer fluid to squirt onto windshield(yes it's filled up).not familier with jeeps set-up..not sure if there's a pump in washer fluid res or separate pump or what..

2nd -- rear wiper doesn't seem to work at all.checked fuse for it and it looks good..i had rear hatch panel off (fixing disconnected linkage) and took a look at wiring.it all seems to be in good order.(all connected,no broken wires,etc)

any ideas or suggestions..

(thinking i should pick up a repair manual..) :rolleyes:

Cherokees are know for bad rear wiper motor. Bought my 97 grand and that was the first thing I had to replace. Will cost round 90 bucks though if both models used same motor(not sure).

On the windshield washer, do you hear the pump when you actuate the switch?, if not disconnect the pump motor and see if there is a 12v output with the key on and washer switch on. If there is, you need a new pump. If you hear the pump actuating, but no squirt to the windshield, disconnect the nozzle from the hose. Actuate the pump and see if there's water that shoots out. Dont expect a high pressure from the pump, the nozzle's restriction is what give's it pressure in the line. If there is water coming out of the line, clean the nozzle with a small pin and un-clog the orifice. Rear wiper, disconnect the motor power supply connector. Perform the same test as the washer pump. Check it for 12V on the power supply connector.

On the windshield washer, do you hear the pump when you actuate the switch?, if not disconnect the pump motor and see if there is a 12v output with the key on and washer switch on. If there is, you need a new pump. If you hear the pump actuating, but no squirt to the windshield, disconnect the nozzle from the hose. Actuate the pump and see if there's water that shoots out. Dont expect a high pressure from the pump, the nozzle's restriction is what give's it pressure in the line. If there is water coming out of the line, clean the nozzle with a small pin and un-clog the orifice. Rear wiper, disconnect the motor power supply connector. Perform the same test as the washer pump. Check it for 12V on the power supply connector.

the times i have tried it,the engine was running and i was inside..Heck,don't even know where the pump is located on these.if someone could tell me,it'd be appreciated..thanks.

will try the tests out..

The pump is located on the bottom section of the windshield washer resrvoir.

got another issue---(can't see starting new thread)

got the driveline vibrations taken care of (really bad rear U-Joint,missing most of the pin needles) now i've noticed a shake when driving over 50 mph.could not having sway bar hooked up (haven't gotten around to drilling and tapping out broken mount bolt) or maybe just tires out of balance cause this..strange thing is,once below 50,it goes away :scratch:

it shakes hard enough to cause the unoccupied front pass seatback to shake..

it is a somewhat white nuckle ride without a swaybar at over 50..

besides tires and sway bar,what other things should i check..? trackbar,etc ?

Thank you..

Oh and at slow speeds(like 10-20mph) i notice it seems bouncy..

Sorry for the 20 questions,new to jeeps and not good with diagnostics(s?)

Last edited:
With the presence of a low speed "bounce", i would fist check the tires for an out of round or maybe a Goose egg so to speak on the thread surface. How old is the tires?. One of the cause for this symptom is could also be a tire separation. It's when the steel belt within the tire is no longer able to hold the carcass of the tire structure to it's specified shape causing an out of round tire. As the frequency(speed) increases the next order of vibration will be much worse at the higher speed. Check the Wheel balance. And while you have this done ask them to check it for an obvious runout(wobble). Check your steering, suspension components on the front and rear for loose or worn parts.

Not to hijack but; Cherokees are "known" for bad wiper motors?? 1st I have heard that rumor; but that said I have been thru 2 junkyard sourced wiper motors on my '01 XJ. This in about 4-1/2 years and 67K miles (so far; bought with 94K, now has 161K; hope to add a ton more to that total before it is "used up")

Not to hijack but; Cherokees are "known" for bad wiper motors?? 1st I have heard that rumor; but that said I have been thru 2 junkyard sourced wiper motors on my '01 XJ. This in about 4-1/2 years and 67K miles (so far; bought with 94K, now has 161K; hope to add a ton more to that total before it is "used up")

Don't wory about the "jacking"...(i've done it myself)

gotta get to some of the local junkyards myself..

BTW-i take it,it's bad for your steering box to be leaking at pitman arm...noticed it yesterday while putting swaybar back on..

Back