Cracked Exhaust Mainifold

sudsmaster

(1995 Jeep ZJ 4.0 Laredo) Well I have a little problem, my exhaust manifold is cracked. It cracked last year and I went on eBay and got a used one and when I was under it the other day I noticed it was cracked again, I am very tight with my money and do not know what direction I should go to get it fixed. I spent 250 dollars including parts last year to fix it and now knowing how prone they are to cracking I am confused. Should I spend 500 + dollars on a header and another 100+ on installation or spend 500+ dollars on a new mopar exhaust manifold + 100 dollars installation, look for a cheepy on eBay and pay 100+ to get it put in or repair the one I got. Thanks for any help

I have heard (on this site) that the 4.0 exhaust manifold is prone to cracking. If you do a search you will probably find some advice there. Knowing that this is an issue, if I ever experience this problem, which I hope that I do not, I will probably try to stay away from a stock replacement, especially a used one.

The replacement that I put on was a stock manifold that was professionally repaired and it is cracked. I sont know what dirrection I should go the cheepest way could end up costing me more money in the future that I do not want to spend $$$

Alarm

Hey I have a 4.0 TJ and I just heard about the proneness to craking thing about two weeks ago. I was disapointed to hear that this is an issue with an otherwise great engine. I checked mine out and it is still fine (I only have 42k on it), but it got me thinking what to do when it does happen :idea: So what I think you should do is spend the little extra cash now and upgrade the thing. After what happended with your stock replacement why go back to stock :?: For just under $400.00 you can get a Borla and they have a million mile warrenty. Plus you will increase your proformance. Check ouT Quadratec.com. This is the route I plan to take the day mine crackes 8)

I had the same problem with my cherokee and found that I had some bad motor mounts (the rubber had split) that caused the engine to move to much, hence the manifod had to much pressure on it cusing it to crack premature. :roll: Hope this helps. I have had the new mounts for over a year now and still no cracks with the stock replacement. Before, it only lasted about 3 months.

Well I guess im just goin to buy a header and let it go at that, I did have to replace my motor mounts about 4 -5 months ago because the Jeep guy said they were bad that could of been my problem but the motor mount did not actually break I could not see anything wrong with it.

yeah-- I just bought a 95 zj and had the same prob.
The motor mount went bad and allowed the header pipe to hit and put a nice little hole in it. Replace the motor mount and that'll fix it.(easier said than done though) ha! :?

Heat it up good with a torch and Braze it! Works very nice. The soft brass will stick good and flex with the heat and cooling of the thing. Did my sons Ranger a year and a half ago still holding strong. tug

Back