cracked frame

Gig

RE: For all the 1979, 1980, 1983 stock 258 owners

Hey all! First post here... but been reading for the past 3 weeks.... Anyways... I just wanted to ask if the '89 YJ I just bought is worth doing anything with.... It is all stock at the moment, but has a crack in the frame up front just in the space above the left leaf-spring. :shock: It has been reiforced by 1/4 steel on both sides with a Mig welder. Is it worth wheeling with? :cry: Thanx for any input!

Gig

PS Sorry for no pics....don't have a digi camera atm.

RE: 2001 XJ rough idle at start up.

It all depends on the severity of the crack and how well it was repaired. If they cleaned the area wqelded the crack and used proper sized fish plates in the proper locations and applied quality welds then it will be fine. If not, i'm looking for a new project if ya wanna sell it.

RE: ```````For sale in NE Ohio````````

the steel was ground until there was no rust left. He(a friend of mine) then sprayed some freaky stuff that bubbled up all the rust inside the crack and took basically a wire with tiny brstles sticking out to clean the inside crack. The crack wasn't that big....maybe ran 3" down. He then took the to 1/4" Fish plates and welded them on. Pretty neat looking job. I know it is strong enough for road use... But I mean heavy duty stuff. thx

Gig

Ps 83mudjeep, I live just a little far away even if I did want to get rid of it :wink:

Yeah, he welded the crack...hence the reason for cleaning the inside of it.
I just finished talking to another friend of mine who said it should now be even stronger than it was when it was new.... so?

Gig

Ps I'm from up north, Quebec, Canada.

RE: chevy 1/2 ton axle questions

Welcome! ya sounds like your all set to tool on that jeep! Chevy's are prone to cracks in that area... Some jeeps are too, but usually after being lifted.

Thanx for the welcome. Well, now that I am sure the frame isn't gonna fall apart on me, this is gonna be my part time project (seeing as how money doens't seem to grow on trees, trust me, ive tried) when I'm not at work. Can't really do much right now seeing as it's winter, and I don't have a garage atm. :lol: Minute the sun is a sure thing though, and nice and warm this spring... gonna start body work. :twisted: 'Till then, dash has GOTTA go. I don't feel like having to take off my seat belt and lean over to see how much fuel I have left...

Gig

Back