cv driveshaft

weiland7

i put a 6 inch suspension lift on my cj now the front driveshaft is too short by 2 inches or so and the rear is too extreme.
i don't have 3 to 5 hundred to spend on a cv driveshaft. can i buy just a cv joint for the driveshaft i have and what to do with the front

thanks

I can't speak to your rear driveshaft, but you should be able to get the front shaft lengthened at a driveshaft shop for under $100

i put a 6 inch suspension lift on my cj now the front driveshaft is too short by 2 inches or so and the rear is too extreme.
i don't have 3 to 5 hundred to spend on a cv driveshaft. can i buy just a cv joint for the driveshaft i have and what to do with the front

thanks

What about lowering the tranfercase?
cjdrop.jpg
Jeep CJ transfer case drop kits

Is this a cj5 or cj7? A cj7,s should be longer. Its been awhile but cj,s have diff length shaft for diff models, (I am assumeing based on engine and trans). I have had to replace rear driveshafts with 4" lift before on a cj7, because more than half the splines were showing, funny thing is another cj7,s shaft fit it and was longer. I would call a 4x4 shop in your area if there is one and ask if they have any used shafts and go down there with yours and compare lengths, cheaper than a new one. It seems I have heard that you can use the front shaft of a cherekee on the cjs, not sure of that though.

Is this a cj5 or cj7? A cj7,s should be longer. Its been awhile but cj,s have diff length shaft for diff models, (I am assumeing based on engine and trans). I have had to replace rear driveshafts with 4" lift before on a cj7, because more than half the splines were showing, funny thing is another cj7,s shaft fit it and was longer. I would call a 4x4 shop in your area if there is one and ask if they have any used shafts and go down there with yours and compare lengths, cheaper than a new one. It seems I have heard that you can use the front shaft of a cherekee on the cjs, not sure of that though.

10/4

I would likely start by lowering the trans and transfer case as recommended above, espesically if the rear is at a wonky angle. You can get an angleometer (or whatever the tech. name is) from HomeDepot or HarborFrieght for a couple of bucks to figure out the angle difference. As for lenghts, what are you looking for? I just finished parting out my 85 CJ7 that was totalled in an accident and have a couple of driveshafts. The 86 that I'm currently restoring has about 5" total lift, but I'll be lowering it down....So, those shafts are up for grabs as well.

I would likely start by lowering the trans and transfer case as recommended above, espesically if the rear is at a wonky angle. You can get an angleometer (or whatever the tech. name is) from HomeDepot or HarborFrieght for a couple of bucks to figure out the angle difference. As for lenghts, what are you looking for? I just finished parting out my 85 CJ7 that was totalled in an accident and have a couple of driveshafts. The 86 that I'm currently restoring has about 5" total lift, but I'll be lowering it down....So, those shafts are up for grabs as well.

when i get home this weekend ill measure and get back with the length
thanks

Adding a CV joint (double-cardan is the correct term) to a stock driveshaft requires much cutting, welding, and balancing of the CV components in place of the single cardan yoke.

I'd recommend finding a used XJ or TJ front CV driveshaft to run in the rear and have it shortened. You will likely need a new yoke on the transfer case to attach the double-cardan joint to.

Don't forget that with a CV driveshaft the axle pinion needs to be parallel with the driveshaft, so the pinion needs to be rotated upward quite a bit. Shims usually aren't enough, you need to cut and weld the spring perches for proper alignment.

Adding a CV joint (double-cardan is the correct term) to a stock driveshaft requires much cutting, welding, and balancing of the CV components in place of the single cardan yoke.

I'd recommend finding a used XJ or TJ front CV driveshaft to run in the rear and have it shortened. You will likely need a new yoke on the transfer case to attach the double-cardan joint to.

Don't forget that with a CV driveshaft the axle pinion needs to be parallel with the driveshaft, so the pinion needs to be rotated upward quite a bit. Shims usually aren't enough, you need to cut and weld the spring perches for proper alignment.

thanks i rotated the rear axle, but is there a degree to which the oil will not lubricate properly

It's possible, but unlikely. The rotation of the differential throws oil forward to the pinion bearings, it'll still reach regardless of pinion angle.

Back