dana 300 transfer case

absolutemoon

Among the laundry list of things to do on this beast, I have had a slight leak (two - three drops) a day at my transfer case. It looks like the lower rear plate (Oval) (right above the "skid plate") is where it is coming from. Gasket set on order so in the mean time, does anyone happen to know:

A. How do you check the fluid level in the transfer case?
B. What type goes back in? (Dana 300)
C. Where in the heck do you refill?

I have read anywhere from 40wt.(not sure what that is) to regular engine oil. I have no manuals and cannot seem to locate a consistant answer online.

Once again, Thanks Bryan

80/90 weight gear oil, local auto part should carry it, should be in a gallon jug. Ive only had one 300t/c so memory is foggy but there should be a boss fitting about half way up on the back right side of your case, check level there. stick you finger in the hole and oil should be just below it if not, fill it. Should be another one higher up, refill there. These may be on the passenger side of the case insted of the back, or one in back and one on the side, thats what I can't remember.. You check at the lower one and refill at the higher one.

after rethinking that, their may only be one fitting. either way fill it to just below the fitting
I have had to rig a hose on the jug to fill the case before because it can be hard to tilt it enough to get the oil out. If you run into that, rig up a hose tightly to the jug, put hose in hole and squeez, HARD!

Just found it. You have to be a magician to fill this puppy. Thanks again for the help.

Just found it. You have to be a magician to fill this puppy. Thanks again for the help.

I hear ya, I had a sudden flash back of filling it and remembered using a hose. If you havent bought the gallon jug of oil yet, they sell a smaller bottle (Qt, maybe half gallon) that is much easier to use and the tip is pointed and a hose slides onto it easily. its still kinda a pain because the oil go's through the hose slowly.

The best thing to do is to get the pump. Screws right to the jug, put the clear hose in the fill hole and pump. It is slow though, 80-90 wt oil is thick.

Back