Dana 35!

CrashNBurn

Really how strong are the Dana 35's? I read articles saying that the max recomended tire size for the Dana 35 is 31 -33 inch. I'm running 31 inch Hankook MT's on my 88YJ. I hear and have seen 35's on Jeeps equiped with the Dana 35 in the rear. You can buy Lockers for the 35 so I'm beginning to believe that the 35 is actually quite strong. I would appreciate some feedback on this dilema. Let me know what you think

For your application it's fine. Up to about 33's and a light pedal it's fine as well. It all depends on how you drive. People have blown them up with 31's and open difs, and other guys have run them with 35's and locked forever and never had a problem. It's an unreliable rear end as far as off roading is concerned. Just because they make lockers for it doesn't make it strong. Hell they make lockers for Suzuki Samurai axles, and they're smaller than a 35.

You probably won't ever have a problem with it unless you go looking for one. Go to bigger tires and a locker, and then you'll be inviting problems. You won't necessarily have them, but you'll be a lot more prone.

I have a buddy who runs them on his TJ with 35 inch tires and ARB's, (see my web site for a pic the blue TJ) he did up grade the stock axles with Superior axle shafts (33 spline?) and trussed the axle with Rock Kwalers tri link rear kit. So far no breakage, but he already snapped an axle in his Grand Cherokee sitting on 33's. Mudding it I believe.
As far as I have seen its not a question if...but when your going to break one.
The axle shafts are small for a drive axle off road and the tubes are prone to bending over time ( same size as a Dana 30 axle).
If your thinking of going to a 35 inch tire think about upgrading to a Dana 44 or some other beefier axle.

Thanks Utah Jeepster appreciate the info. Probably never go any bigger than the 31's that are on now, but I have thought of going with a locker, and I have seen many trussed Dana 35's with beefier axleshafts. Most of my wheeling consists of back woods trail riding and a few good size mud holes.

I know getting a selectable locker is expensive.. (own two) but with a good trussed up and locked Dana 35 with upgraded axle shafts you can make them last.
And with the ability to unlock them on the road they drive great.

I hammered on my D35 with a welded diff for years, with up to 33" tires. Even ran one rock crawl comp with 34" LTB's and no breakage. Some are lucky, and some break a D35 on the road. Never can tell. HP and driving style play a big part in how long they'll last.

I don’t know how strong a Dana 35 is but I’ve broke an axle on my front end which is a Dana 44, my 33’s took care of that axle. Open diff’s

i've been tossing around the idea of an axle swap myself my tj has an open diff 35... and i want a locker and 4.11's or 4.56 gears and run 33" tires max so my game plan is to do what i can to help the 35 live as long as it can "hopefully which is long enough to save for a swap" haha but i really dont fear it burting to pieces on a trail i think like everybody else has said it all about how you drive on and off road... just my 2 pennies haha

Check out the Waggy/Isuzu D44 swap they just covered in the recent issue of JP, great option. I just finished mine before it was in the rag and I love it. 4whl disc and same 6-lug pattern that is common to Chevy's, Toy's, etc., rims are plentful. Great option for front and rear D44's, good locker selection, and reasonably strong.

I switched out my rear Dana 35 for the Ford 8.8 - I was meticulous in the installation (even if I can't get all the terms correct).

I field tested it last week and it worked great. I still have my 33" MTRs, but when they wear out, I'll get new wheels and then 35" tires. I will probably need a 1" body lift to go with it.

I had no trouble last week with the Mighty YJ at all. I was running with rigs with much more equipment and had no trouble driving with them.

Be patient when you do the install and do some basic checks between trails. I am proud of the most recent, successful mods to the rig!

Back