dana 44 vacuum

jeepnkansas

i have a 92 wrangler with a 330 hp gm crate engine cv driveshaft and a 4 inch lift. I have been looking for donor axles for my soa upgrade and was stoked when found some 44s on a wagoneer my buddy was about to crush. i took the axles home free of charge only to find after a little research everybody says to avoid the axles with the vacuum disconnect (which is what i have) slightly discouraged i kept searching through articles for an answer as to why. I'm aware of the vacuum probs in cold weather or when lines crack, but is there more to this? Are they worthless due to defect, inability to handle trail use or large tires? I've heard you cant run lockers up front with these axles which isn't huge right now, and i'm aware of the low pinion but my axle knowledge is less than awesome... help?

Re: I need someone with axle knowlege please help me

if its a stupid question you dont have to sugar-coat it for me lol i'm new to jeeps always loved them since i rode in my buddies back in highschool but my knowledge of working on jeeps and upgrading is based soley on trial and error. thanks for any input

It's not a stupid question, just sometimes you have to wait longer than 82 minutes for a reply. I run a vacuum actuated d44 from a Waggy but I converted the disconnect to cable operation. I purposely installed this axle because I run a mini-spool up front and I like to be able to operate the disconnect to run 3wd occasionally, makes tight turns on the trail a lot easier.

You should be able to run any d44 locker you want with that axle.

lol sorry for the impatients its a daily driver and i found the the stock rear end has quite a bit of play in it. A bit of cause for concern... Thanks for the input! btw what size tires are u running?

lol never mind just read the stats on ur rig next to your name. im new to this group lol

Welcome. Look at the mid '90s Isuzu Rodeo or Honda Passport for a rear d44 with the same 6-lug wheel pattern as a Waggy front axle and it has disc brakes, great upgrade.

nice! i will tell my buddy to keep an eye out for a wrecked one that isnt messed up. and thank you.

hey i forgot to ask you about the install, did you end up rotating the pumpkin on the tubes to maintain a good pinion angle and proper caster, if so was it hard did you make a jig of some kind or avoid the headache and pay someone to do it? any info you have will be much appreciated!

Back