Dangerous Tires

And I always thought the only dangerous tires were Thornbirds....:lol::flamethro

Wow, interesting. I had no idea........I never considered a "new" tire could be as old as some of those in the video.

I gotta say that the BFG baja champion M/T's i use to run on my Jeep lasted me 11 yrs before i switched to these pitbull krawler's . I still have them as a back up set.

wow, way to play on the heart strings of people. maybe I am a bit of a dare devil, but I have run tires on a vehicle that were nearly 40 years old.

I feel for these families, I seriously do, no one shoud have to bury a family member.

BUT

I would like to know what the tire pressure was in the tires that the tread came off of, also if the tire had the proper load rating for the car/truck/van it was on? People are so quick to find someone/ something to blame when tradgety hits, but quite often it is pointed in the wrong direction.

If I was to put a P-metric car tire (non lt) on my pickup, and run it at 20 psi for a long period of time (200 mile trip) it will delaminate the tread. too much weight and too much heat will cause this.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I knew that a lot of elastic parts on a lot of things had expiration dates but never thought about the tires.:shock:

The video is definitely biased to evoke emotion, especially when it showed remnants of commercial recaps on the shoulder of the interstate, has absolutely nothing to do with the point of the story.

anyone else remember that recall?
Yup, I got free tires for my Ranger out of that deal. I got the truck new in '99 and in less than a year one front tire (just one) was nearly bald despite rotation and weekly air pressure checks. I'm anal about vehicle maintenance. Got a new tire on warranty at a Firestone store, price adjusted. A week later they announced the recall.

Naw.. I am real hardcore.. I have firestones on my explorer

anyone else remember that recall?

My '00 Ranger came with those recalled tires. Last month, at about 110,000 miles....I finally got some new tires cause they were bald and a cop ran me off the road (pulled out in front of me and I had to slam into a curb) and put a nice cut in one of them.

...anyone else remember that recall?

Yeah, we got free tires for our Explorer. After watching that vid I had to go check my new BFG's that I got last year. 1208 which I think means 12th week of 2008. They were very new when I got them thank goodness.

True story with the Firestone recall. The offending tires had serial numbers beginning with the letters "VD". I call the Ford dealer, they know me there.
"Service, Ted speaking."
"Ted, this is JohnnyO. My tires got VD."
"You should be more careful where you drive then."

Back