decipher?

micktoo

I am a brand new jeep owner and I need someone to help me, cause I'm feeling a little silly that I don't know this. what is the difference between cj, tj, and yj? how do I know which one I have? It's a 99 wrangler sport. Thanks.

OK Here is a quick and dirty way to tell from the front of the vehicle. CJ's (produced from the beginning of time until '86) have round headlights and round turn signals located next to the front grill. YJ's (the next produced from '87 until '95) have rectangular headlights and rectangular turn signals located on the front of the fenders. These have also been jokingly refered to as Wronglers due to the headlamp change. Both of these types have leaf springs. TJ's (produced from '97 until present...no '96 model) have round headlights and the same turn signals as the YJ's. These also have coil springs. There are several (pick a place in the list to start) other differences within and between the model designations but this is a quick and dirty way to ID as you are driving.
image-missing.png

------------------
If you didn't break it you didn't play hard enough; A bad day Jeepin is far better than the best day at work.

CJ,meant civilian jeep, when the war ended, we had warehouse's full of them. what to do now? sell them to the farmers,there's still some out there with the farm p.t.o. set up. but they werent as good as tractors, so lets just cut em up!! makes you sick!!anyway, thats C.J.,i think Y.J.means yuppies jeep, and T.J.stands for Throwback i.e..reversion to an earlier type or phase......

Thank you for the info. Been checking some auctions and sites for a few parts and I kept seeing that, but had no clue what it meant. Thanks for taking the time to answer a goofy question.

M

You were right on CJ and YJ but TJ stands for (or should) Trail Jeep, and then theres MJ, Military Jeep
image-missing.png

[addsig]

Back