diagnosing oil pressure (sender/gauge) problems

bucklahoo

i need to replace my oil pressure sending unit or my gauge in my 90 yj. i just put a new 2.5L engine in and the gauge is still acting wild.

what should be the approx. PSI for a new 2.5L at idle and driving?

the factory manual says to check voltage at connector on the sending unit. if its approx. 7.5 volts its ok. what is approx 7.5 volts? 5 volts, 9 volt?

i am leaning towards the gauge being the problem so i ordered one.

will i encounter any problems changing an oil press sending unit? [addsig]

dont know if this helps mine drops down to around 40 at idle thats in the middleish and up to 60 at over 1500 rpms mine does how ever have a million miles like around 155,000 give or take 600 or so.

marc[addsig]

one more thing all of my gauges are in one peice are yours the same, if so can you order one with out getting all of them or do you have to replace the whole strip because mine are rusty, and kinda yellowed, thanks

marc[addsig]

i replaced my sending unit last year cost about $11. my gauge kept reading 2 psi. it fixed the problem.[addsig]

My 97 2.5 runs about 40 when cruising and about 20 at idle.[addsig]

My book calls for 40 @ 2000 RPM, but the gauges and senders are notoriously inacurate. Try removing the screws from back of your gauges and cleaning with steel wool where the contact strip contacts the gauges. Also make sure you have a good ground at the sending unit. I always solder a bayonet clip on the upper side of the sending unit and run a seperate ground, cures alot of problems. Some quality sending units come this way.[addsig]

i'll try cleaning the gauge and changing the sending unit this weekend and see what happens.

thanks for the ideas!

[addsig]

Back