dies without warning

iraq_vet_x2

A buddy of mine is having a problem with his 2.5L, '95. It will start up just fine but then die without any warning signs. No spitting or sputtering...it just dies. I've looked under the hood and can't see anything obviously wrong. He said it ranges from hard wheeling for three hours to 17 seconds of run time. He only has to wait for about a minute or less for it to fire right back up again. So far he's replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, the alternator(6 months ago), and he's got a low temp thermostat in(160). He cleaned out the idle air control valve and he said it was filthy, but it's still doing the same thing. Last time he took it wheelin' it didn't die, but then when he got it on the road to head home, that's when it died, ruling out a loose wire. Doesn't matter if it's wet or dry, and he hasn't been able to recreate a scenario that makes it die every time, just seems to do it when it wants to.

I had a 95 with that engine with the exact same symptoms, although it would only do it when it got real warm out.

It turned out to be a fuseable link. It would fail when it got hot.

Not anymore. That was about 6 years ago and I sold the vehicle around then. But I do remember it was one that was between wires that ran right along the side edge of the hood. Cant remember which side. But you cant miss it and the fusible links are cheap.

The jeep I inherited was said to have had the engine cleaned. The engine quit dropped its bearing. Took it apart and found that ever opening was plugged with sand dirt and every jeeping trip it made. It use to smoke sputter and cut out when was your engine cleaned not on the outside, but the inside? Might just want to check. :shades:

When it dies, check for spark and fuel pressure. This might make it easier to isolate the cause.

Back