Do I need to regear for 33's?

nkdskls1978

Just put 33's on a 4 banger automatic and its really hard to get er going....
should I regear and to which ratio?

this is for a mostly highway jeep... occasional mud

4.56 minimum or 4.88 if you really want any sort of power. And yes you should regear, to avoid additional heat and wear on your transmission.

I have 4.56's on my cherokee with a 4.0 and 33's. I wish I could have gone to 4.88

My 4.0 TJ too has 33's, and to me it's a dog.

T-18 transmission adapter

2.5L auto will be 3.73, go with 4.88 to get the best all-around performance. 4.56 isn't enough of a change to warrant the cost, time, and trouble.

I agree with the 4.88's. Thats what I have with 36's BUT with a man. 5sp..... with the auto I would for sure run the 4.88 to avoid the heat like MINGEZ said....

RE: Do I need to regear for 33

chiming in late to agree with everyone else

Bad. I'm not sure it's worth it to regear a Dana 35. At best, I would do a junkyard search for a same model Jeep (looks like TJ) that had the 2.5L and manual transmission. Pull those axles and swap 'em in. They have 4.10 gears. That will help... slightly. But I'm not sure that's even worth the trouble.

I suppose the only right answer is to save up and buy/build a stronger rear with 4.88 gears. Then regear the D30 to 4.88. But I know that's not cheap... or easy. Sorry.

4.88's though, are the answer.

I wouldn't spend any time or trouble to go from 3.73 to 4.10, you'd be lucky to notice the change.

Regear to 4.88, and if you have any question about the strength of you rear axle under your type of use, upgrade to a Ford 8.8 with discs. I beat on my D35 pretty hard, and it's never broken (knock on wood). But then again I've got athe 2.5L HO, Lincoln Lockers, and 33" Swampers.

RE: 33" tires and need a matching rim

Do I have to do both axles at the same time ?
How do I know if I have a D30 or D35?

what is a good price? Rusty's has 4.88s for... $159

Can I do it myself ? is it about the same deg of difficulty as previously doing susp lift by myself ...father in law has a shop and I have plenty of tools :?:

Yes you need to do both axles at the same time, unless you don't ever put it in 4WD. You have a D30 in the front and a D35 in the rear. Oh and you need a carrier for those gears, the 4.88s are bigger physically.

Regearing axles you can't say, "its good enough". It's gotta be dead on. Thats why I let the pros regear my axles. If you screw it up, you gotta open up the diff and try again!

The carrier is the differential unit in the axle. The ring gear bolts to it and it transfers the power to the axle shafts. As you go through the different gearsets available for an axle, you will eventually come to a point called the case break. At this point, to go with any lower range ratios, you will need a new carrier to compensate for the thinner ring gear.

Perfect time to upgrade to a full bodied locker like a Detroit, or a Limited Slip unit that will totally replace the factory carrier.

Back