Drivetrain Noise

Wranglerman21

I have a 2001 Jeep wrangler and i have been hearing some drivetrian noise. The problem all started when I was at Rausch Creek Offroad Park, and ended up stripping out my spider gears in my front axle. (Stock Dana 30) I got it home and put new inner axle seals, Spider gears and all new gear oil. The color of the gear oil in the front axle made me service the rear axle (dana 44) I just drained the fluid cleaned it out and replaced the oil. Im not sure if i have a limited slip, so i didnt put any of the additive in. I put about 50 miles on it, and i have been hearing a howling noise that I dont remember before. When I push in the clutch the noise stops. If anyone has any ideas or knows anything your help would be wounderful. Thanks again

usually when you push in the clutch and the noise stops it means the throwout bearing is the culprit. there should be a metal tag attached to one of the differential cover bolts that says it's a locking differential. good luck, john

Yes, I did check the Trans Fluid. I actually just got back in from changing it. And it didnt fix it. The noise is a Humming noise but it does stop when I push in the clutch so i know its not the differentials. I also checked the Transfer case fluid and that was fine.

usually when you push in the clutch and the noise stops it means the throwout bearing is the culprit. there should be a metal tag attached to one of the differential cover bolts that says it's a locking differential. good luck, john

I would agree with that assessment. I doubt if you have locking diff's unless the previous owner installed them. The Rubicon is the only model with factory lockers. Not sure about the limited slips - which models Jeep put them on....somebody on here knows. I would suspect throwout bearing. How many miles on your Jeep?

I dont have a tag on the rear diff. I know that it isnt locked but im surprised that it is a dana 44 when the jeep isnt a Sahara. I know that you could order that axle with a tow package, but hey im not complaining haha

The Tag numbers on the Jeep Axles would be the Axle part# and the Gear ratio Tag.Mud4Feet is correct with the lockers being stock with the Rubicon Package only. The tags does not indicate the Differentials to be a locker or a limited slip setup. if you know someone from Chrysler, that axle part number is all that is needed to know whats behind that differential cover if it's a locking or open diff.. as for the Humming noise i would agree with it possibly a Throwout bearing. However there are at least 2 more bearings that can also cause that noise such as the input shaft to mainshaft bearing and the Pilot Bearing. There is also a TSB issued out in 2001 for a Geartrain sound. TSB#21-002-01. I can P.M. you the details if you want it.

Unless you have an Extended Warranty or an Aftermarket Service contract that will cover that. TSB is not a recall By any means. They are Technical Service Bulletins that are posted by the engineers of the manufacturer. Check your P.M. for the details.

Back