drivetrain swap/1992 to a 1987

4x4Fish

i am looking at a 1992 yj with a 4.0 ho and ax-15. the jeep is a victim of a roll over. i would like to swap that drivetrain into my 1987 yj(4.2 ltr 6, 5sp, with 2-many vacuum leaks to count and an leak somewhere between the slave cylinder and the transmission). so long as i have the donor vehicle and my jeep sideXside are there any issues any body can come up with on why this should not work??[addsig]

You will need the computer from the '92, along with the fuel tank and sending unit/pump. Shouldn't be too hard, as long as you mark everything removed from the '92.

Is the '92s frame trashed? Can you swap the '87 tub onto the '92?[addsig]

Heres a thought :

What if you swapped. not the drivetrain, but the BODIES ???

~just a thought ~

[addsig]

ehhh.... we might be going out on a limb there.... if you swap the tub... then we're talking LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of wiring... which is the WORST part of mechanics. I'd much rather go with the drivetrain swap. As far as I can think, the tubs should be about identical, but we're talking lots of work with large cumbersome parts... the drivetrain can be taken apart and replaced as smaller, heavy, but managable parts. [addsig]

Back