dropping gas tank to change shackles

rtoney9

I am going to put on new lift shackles and was looking at the ones on my jeep now. The front will be no problem, but the gas tank in the rear will not allow me to pull the bolt out because the bolt is put in from the inside. How difficult is it to drop the gas tank so that I can change the shackles? :-? [addsig]

I just changed my rear shackles on my 88' yj and I took a Saw-Zaw
and cut the bolts since I had new ones with the new shackles...But if
you try to drop the tank good luck it's a bunch of crap to get it down
far enough to get the bolts out ...that's why I cut them........
REAR BOLTS=0 SAW-ZAW=1 :-D :-D :-D [addsig]

sounds good, but I don't have one of those. what about taking it to a shop and having them put the rear shackles on for me, sound worth it?[addsig]

For the price it would cost for the shop to put them
on you could buy you a Saw-Zaw and do it yourself,

But if that is the route you want to go, go for it I am
behind YOU>......... :-D [addsig]

cool. thanks. I am not sure yet. I get paid in two and a half weeks. I am trying to decide what I want to do so that when I get paid I can buy and install it. I may just buy one and tackle the job myself. see ya[addsig]

using the saw zaw, how did you cut the bolt? did you break it loose, unscrew it a little and cut some off and keep doing that until you could screw it all the way out or what?
:-? :) [addsig]

I changed the shackles on my 93 yj two weeks ago. I managed to pull the bolt out by sliding it into the space between the gas tank and skid plate and it came out. I thought about cutting it but I left my die grinder at work. Had new springs ready to go in and everything. Had no other choice but to try and it came out. I tapped it a little from the nut end with another bolt, and could'nt beleive it came out. Did the other side and finished up the lift.[addsig]

From reading the board, I knw that Tug is a pretty smart guy....BUT, before you go and start slinging sparks around, think about what sparks combined with gas can do....If you go this route, make DANG sure that you empty the tank and do it in a well ventilated area, otherwise we may never hear back from you!

Good luck![addsig]

It takes some work but they can be taken out without dropping the gas tank and without cutting the bolts. All I can say is if ya have the tools to cut the bolts... do it it would be a hell of a lot easier, but if not they can still come out.[addsig]

I think that if you have the time, you mite as well drop your gas tank and check it for rust, holes, etc.. change new bolts and stuff, its not that hard... good luck...[addsig]

You won't have any problems with a SAW-Zaw and
you don't have to worry about sparks either... :-O :-O :-O [addsig]

NEVER EMPTY A GAS TANK TO KEEP IT FROM EXPLODING!!!!!

Gas doesn't burn........GAS FUMES DO!!

When a tank is empty it is FULL of fumes!

Just a safety tip from your (not so) local fireman. :cool: [addsig]

i've welded, ground, and torched everything around my gas tank... i know its risky, but i've never had a problem yet.... and yes... the recip saw is the way to go with this... cut the head off on the gas tank side.. then use the other end of the bolt to pull it out[addsig]

thanks for the tips and warnings? I think I will just unbolt it and work it out between the gas tank and skid plate? do ya'll think this will be very difficult?
[addsig]

when we did it... one side worked its way out fine... but the other NEEDED to be cut... I would suggest just cutting it... it will help keep your four letter word count lower[addsig]

LMAO "Snitty" it will keep it down and it is alot faster
also if you are going to cut one you might as well cut them all........
Just my $.02.... :-D [addsig]

Back