Easy to use soft top?

cocheers

Hello-
I'm in the market for a new soft top (I have a TJ Sport, '97).
I don't have a garage so i end up putting the top up and down almost every day. Does anyone have any advice on an easy-to-use top? [addsig]

1st. Welcome, you are in the Best place.

2nd. I can answer this, but would like to
know first: Geo locale, (WET, WINDY, DRY...)
Trail Rig ? Daily, details.

Are you just looking to 'replace' your OEM Soft Top,
OR are you in Jeeper mode and want to MOD / UPGrade?

Welcome, share your challenges, wants, and requirements,
and you will be sharing with your friends, all the intel you receive. :cool: [addsig]

First -Thanks!
Second - I live in Boston - lots of wind/rain/sun - even snow - all in the same week, hence the need to put the top up and down constantly! I bought the jeep last year with an OEM hard top and a k-line soft top. The k-line has about 1 million parts - screws are falling out all the time and you are pretty much SOL when they do because k-line has discountinued the tops! Besides the hassle, my soft top is getting n rough shape as well - the zippers in the back window have fallen off and i'm starting to notice a few tears - hence - in the market for a new top! It's really a practical need but i'd like to think i'm in jeeper mode at the same time:)
I'm also thinking of selling the hard top, so i'm definately looking for something sturdy that will last through the Boston winters.
I want it all - but - top priority is the ease of putting it up/down without losing parts. Any ideas??[addsig]

I'd buy a bestop brand top. They seem to be the top of the line brand for tops. The only thing is that they are a tad expensive, but you get what you pay for.[addsig]

Bestop.com ,,,, Every parts catalog you pick up will have Bestop products
sprinkled throughout. From the Best seatcovers, FULL SOFT TOPs, Bikini,
Flares,,, etc.

It is said that Bestop manufactures the 'factory' Soft top.

Great design and even better quality..
You can get a replacement, a top with a 'sunroof', a 1/2 top,
I run my girl around town in her Bikini and shorts (deck cover)
with a 5 second 'cab cover' incase of rain.

STAY AWAY FROM STEELE HORSE / ROCK CRUSHER.... :-x [addsig]

I have a trail cover made by bestop. It works out pretty nice seeing I don't have a garage. All it is basically is a waterproof cover that covers your interior while your soft top is down. Only takes seconds to remove and put on.[addsig]

I am seriously considering getting one of those. The only thing holding me back is that it is expensive. I bet cocheers needs something he can drive in. [addsig]

Your right, Raven - i do need something i can drive in - Boston weather is too unpredictable to leave the top at home. I'm also considering ditching the hard top and keeping the soft top year round.
So, it seems alot of people are Bestop champions - do you guys know the difference between the Replacement top vs Super top? Pros/cons of each? I went on the site, but there is not a clear description of the Replacement top. [addsig]

Cocheers, welcome to the jeep board from a fellow mass-hole!! hehe

Where abouts in boston are ya? I am in Wakefield. I have the bestop supertop on my YJ, and it has been there for 5 years, and looks new still, but I only use it in the summer. My only gripe is it is a bit of a hassel for one person to put up and take down.
Living in boston I know how unpredictable the weather is! (last week for example 90 degrees+sunny monday 35 degrees+rain by friday) My bud has a 2003 X and he has the factory top, and it is a simple one person operation.

If you can find a used factory top in descent shape at a good price I would go that route! Also, if you have the storage, keep that hard top, you will kick yourself in the a$$ in January if you get rid of it!

Johnny[addsig]

Thanks Johnny -
I'm in Charlestown - work in Watertown.

I definately need the one-man operation top. I"m often stuck somewhere by myself when i do the emergency jeep top assembly!
Thanks for the advice - i'll check out ebay for the factory softtop[addsig]

I just bought a best top sunrider , the one with the sunroof option. It took about 3 hours to install and works great. easy to handle and not alot of parts. well worth the money. the sunroof option works great half your roof open in 45 sec. I think the replace a top is just the canvas replacement the super top , i think, is all new hardware also. hope this helps.[addsig]

Ebay is a good place to look, accually the best! Even iff you find one that has all the meta, and fabric but the windows are beat up, bestop makes tinted replacement windows for about $120 and they are a lot more durable than the factory or clear ones.

I am in charlestown often. I work for U-Mass as a Nutrition health educator, and go out to schools all around boston! spend some time over near the monument, hell pass it everday on my way into Jamacia Plain (where my office is) Hope to see ya on the trails!!

Johnny[addsig]

Back