Electric fan

youngster

Hi my name is Sean and i am new to this forum. I have a 86.5 YJ wrangler with a 258 I.6 from 1982 and i was wondering what would have to be done to change it to an electric fan? would it be possible to put it on a switch in the cab?:???: Also it smokes white for a good 10 to 15 minutes after it starts up on a cold day. Are there any quick things i can check to solve this problem?

Fan from a mid '90s Ford Taurus with the 3.8 engine is a good fit. You can hook it up straight through a switch in the dash if the switch is rated for high amperage and you use the low speed on the fan. It's better to use a high amp relay under the hood and control the relay with a switch in the cab.

Use google or other search engine and check out "Jeep Taurus fan swap" and you will find a ton of info.

Welcome to the Z.

There is also room in front of the radiator for a fan. I put one there just for additional cooling on trail runs. I would definitely use a relay, another thing you can do is run a temp switch in a coolant passage to control it, then it comes on automatically when your coolant hits a certain temp.

Thank you for the advice. i like the idea but the problem is the alternator on the jeep is still stock and thats a 126 amp i think. so i would need to get a 200 amp becouse currently with the regualr lights and the fog lights on it dips down to about 9 volts. do you know of any good places to get a 200 or so amp alternator cheap? also does anyone have a wiring diagram of this that i could use becouse all the ones i found had contraversial relays. also do you think i would be able to get by with 14 guage wire?

can you send me some photos of how you mounted it? how much did it cost and is it possible to get a wiring diagram?

I know i ask alot but im 15 and learning while its still easy and cheap (well while im not paying for anything else). :)

Last edited:
It didn't cost anything because i scavenged the fan off of a piece of construction equipment that was getting scrapped. It is an aftermarket style fan that you can pick up at most parts stores. If you want to mount in front of the rad make sure that the fan can be used in both directions. Most factory elec fans will run backwards if you wire them up backwards but the way the blade is designed they won't move air worth a crap. I mounted it using the little plastic things that they use to mount transmission coolers to rads. You can get a pack of those from parts stores too for a few bucks.

Attachments

• fan diagram.bmp
    202.8 KB · Views: 1,000

Thats the switch that runs the relay. Get your alterator tested. Its probably more like 60 amps if its the stock unit but it shouln't drop to 9 volts just from headlamps and foglights. I put a high output alternator in mine from a gm car but i had to fab some brackets for it and rewire it so its a little bit involvedto do that. Probably your best bet would be to fix the one that you have. As far as your smoking problem that could be a few different things but you should start with a wet and dry compression test. If you have good compression then it is probably a minor problem.

ok so its posative from battery going to the two middle terminals on relay and the right terminal goes to the switch then to negative on battery. then the far left one goes to fan and the negative from the fan goes to negative on battery? or jsut ground to frame? how do i get the dry and wet compression test done?

Back