Electrical terminations for a winch

TwistedCU

The winch I bought says to connect both leads directly to the battery. I understand why (well at least for the pos. lead), but having spent several years (several years ago) doing 12 volt installs (sound systems, etc) I lived by the rule that you never connect an unfused wire to the battery. I understand I won't be able to fuse this one (too much draw), but has anyone made some type of disconnect for the positive lead of their winch?

It seems stupid to have it connect while driving around on the road. If you got into a collision and the lead got pinched it would cause very hard to stop arcing and most likely a fire. I was thinking some kind of quick disconnect on the firewall just above the battery...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

BTW - I bought it at the PA Jeeps show in York. $425 for a Superwinch EP6.0, roller fairlead, snatch block, and a Tomkin winch mount with a brush guard. I wasn't even planning on buying one but it seemed like a sweet deal.

I realize 6000 lbs is relatively small, and I probably wouldn't have shopped Superwinch, but it should do the job if and when needed. I don't have much willpower when I see a good deal on something I could use. Having a snatch block will help. We shall see.

Attachments

• WInch.JPG
    WInch.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 195

What about the big heavy duty fuses used for high powered amps in car audio installs like a Phoenix Gold fuse block or something like that? If not that what about a circuit breaker that has to be manually reset? You should also check into your insurance carrier's policies about aftermarket electrical installs. My insurance company will not cover a vehicle if a fire is caused by an unfused aftermarket install.

Last edited:
Craig said:
What about the big heavy duty fuses used for high powered amps in car audio installs like a Phoenix Gold fuse block or something like that? If not that what about a circuit breaker that has to be manually reset? You should also check into your insurance carrier's policies about aftermarket electrical installs. My insurance company will not cover a vehicle if a fire is caused by an unfused aftermarket install.
No good. Nothing would be rated high enough to not trip as soon as you tried to use the winch.

daveplot said:
Wouldn't something like this work, a battery switch. Just put it on the positive line for the winch. Put the key in when you are going to go wheeling... would solve the problem of an accidential fire.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/99966_00.htm
That might do it. It's rated for 1000 amps when used in a 12V application. I may go that route, but I was hoping for a block I could mount which had a pull-out style disconnect (similar to the ones often used for A/C units in homes. I wonder if they sell those at Autozone or Advance Auto...

Thanks to both of you for the input.

I betcha the selector switch would be the way to go... I set up my service truck with dual power inverters in the rear hard wired from the battery feeding off a selector switch. The switch gives me four options, power to vehicle only, power to vehicle + both inverters, power to vehicle + one inverter or power to nothing. It's relativly simple to install and I would imagine you could order through any parts supplier....

Sparky-Watts said:
So, Harry, didja pick up one of those winches for me, too?
You wouldn't thank me if I had.

Finally got it wired. I bought an Optima Yellow top battery with dual terminals and am using a quick release on the Winch's positive lead. The darn winch doesn't work. The motor runs but the drum doesn't turn. Yes I know how to work the clutch. Another stellar example of me getting a bargain. When will I learn?

I will say, Quadratec sold everything there as-is, but the guy assured me it works. He said it was scratched so it was being discounted.

I called them today, He needs to call me back, but he said he was pretty certain they would buy it back if I bought another one.

You know what that means... I'm going to upgrade. I'm thinking the Ramsey Patriot 8000. It, like Warn, has a lifetime warranty and is made in the USA. I think it's a better deal than the Warn M8000 because it's got an integrated solenoid and a roller fairlead for the same money as the M8000 with a hawse fairled. They are comperable spec-wise.

I thought Superwinch was made here too, all it has on it is the company name and a US address, but it didn't say "made in". I called Superwinch today and they verified it is not, although he wouldn't say where... he just said "overseas".

TwistedCopper said:
I thought Superwinch was made here too, all it has on it is the company name and a US address, but it didn't say "made in". I called Superwinch today and they verified it is not, although he wouldn't say where... he just said "overseas".

Maybe it's made by Volkswagen....:purple: :lol: :D

Sorry....just had to say it!:p

Seriously, though, bummer about the winch. It looked nice, even if it didn't work. Maybe it was made for mall-crawlers, not for real Jeepers.

So, where did you buy it? Was it one of those things like they have at the big civic center in Wichita from time to time where they charge you $10 to get in, but claim to have all kinds of name brand electronics, appliances, tools, furniture, etc at rediculously low prices? Then once you get in, you find out that they have a Pionear stereo, or a Maetag washer and dryer, or Craftyman tools......bastids.:evil:

Sparky-Watts said:
Maybe it's made by Volkswagen....:purple: :lol: :D

Sorry....just had to say it!:p

Seriously, though, bummer about the winch. It looked nice, even if it didn't work. Maybe it was made for mall-crawlers, not for real Jeepers.

So, where did you buy it? Was it one of those things like they have at the big civic center in Wichita from time to time where they charge you $10 to get in, but claim to have all kinds of name brand electronics, appliances, tools, furniture, etc at rediculously low prices? Then once you get in, you find out that they have a Pionear stereo, or a Maetag washer and dryer, or Craftyman tools......bastids.:evil:
Nah, it was a jeep show held by a local club. I bought it from Quadratec. The guy on the phone was decent enough to be willing to take it in exchange, even though it was "scratch and dent" goods which is sold as-is. I told the service rep that they guy assured me it was in good working condition, and it had a couple scratches.

Upon further investigation it is missing a couple gears on the side where the brake is. I think someone used it for spare parts :roll:

Whatever, I'm getting another and it'll be a better one. I should have bought a Warn or Ramsey in the first place. I knew better.

Well, I'm glad to hear they're working with you on it. A couple of gears missing? Hmmmm......you'd think those would need to be included for a functioning winch!

Back