engine dies when it gets steep

mrutsmac

I recently acquired a '80 CJ7 with a 304 V8. After much work it is running great on the flat. Not too long ago I took it up the side of a volcano and when the trail got steep the engine died. Had to flood the carb to get it going again. It has a newish edelbrock carb I got off a friends dead CJ and from research I'm guessing the floats need adjusted. What I want to know is if this carb is ever really going to work on steep grades or if I should get another or step up to fuel injection. The edelbrock gets horrible gas milieage, somewhere around 10MPG on a good day. Thanks for any info.

I recently acquired a '80 CJ7 with a 304 V8. After much work it is running great on the flat. Not too long ago I took it up the side of a volcano and when the trail got steep the engine died. Had to flood the carb to get it going again. It has a newish edelbrock carb I got off a friends dead CJ and from research I'm guessing the floats need adjusted. What I want to know is if this carb is ever really going to work on steep grades or if I should get another or step up to fuel injection. The edelbrock gets horrible gas milieage, somewhere around 10MPG on a good day. Thanks for any info.
:pray::pray:Ahh, i'm not alone with that 10MPG:shock:. Fuel injection is always a better choice over Carburation. Better performance and better fuel economy. as for the Steep Inclines, Edelbrock offers a spring kit for that issue. I have the Edelbrock Performer on my 360AMC. i had the same issue till i installed the spring kit. it works great.

We have several 'Carb-ed' trail rigs in our little group. The last one went to a fuel injection system two years ago due to the fact of it not getting onto the rocks, it drained most of gas from the float bowls before coming off the steepest parts. I.E. killing them on the hardest parts of the climb. Currently Tim is building a full size waggy for is step son and has decided to try the Edelbrock Performer Series off-road Carburetor.
So far with limited runs it seems to work. (limited runs due to the fact of broken parts, we are still finding weak links in this waggy) We had it do several runs near Salt Lake City at a place we call "little moab". These small piles of rocks mimic some of the harder trails 4 - 4.5. But they don't test the longevity of the steeper ones in Moab, so we don't know how long theres fuel in the injector bowls.
This might be one route you might consider before spending a lot more money on a pro-injection.

Thanks for the input. I am running an Edelbrock Performer Series 1405. I found the spring kit on their web site and will order one and see how that works. Thanks again.

Back