Engine dies while running.

BertYJ88

I have a 88 YJ 258, the engine dies with no reasons after 2-3 minutes running. I did the TFI upgrade yesterday, the old distributor cap was full of rust so i though i solved the problem...but it still dies while running or idling. If i crank again it will restart but will dies again later... The problem could be the carburetor but i'd like to know others sources of problem or if it ever happenned to somebody else. :-? [addsig]

Welcome and sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like you may have a bad fule filter. You are right to look for other answers in times of trouble. I like to fix the cheapest opptions first in hopes of solving the trouble that way rather than paying for big items only to learn that was not it. Plus all the little stuff most likely needed replaced before to ling anyway. hehehe Tug[addsig]

try the carb. I had the same problem with my 1988 and after all my checking and buy and replacing it turned out to be the carb. So I went with a webber carb and couldn't be any happier good luck let me know how it turns out...., :-D [addsig]

Check yout TPS. Mine did that a while ago[addsig]

ok, i'm still trying to solve my problem. I realize that the engine stops when it's raining..but when it's hot outside, it runs real fine. I replace the pickup coil under the distributor cap but i think my problem will come back with the rain. I check if there was a failure in the ignition switch ( I put a voltmeter on positive and negative wire plug on the ignition coil ) and when the engine dies, i still get juice. Does anybody knows which kind of problem it could be since it only happens when it's raining or wet ?

Thanks.[addsig]

I've got an 84 cj7 that would not idle below about 1800 rpm. I took the venturi cluster out and drilled out the ends of the little brass tubes. After that, I took the carb apart and cleaned it. You would not believe the amount of crud built up in the float bowl. Since I've done this, the thing has not missed a beat. It idles like a new jeep. If your fuel filter is not stopped up, you may have to try some of these procedures
[addsig]

If i had your problem..it would always dies, but it stops only when it's raining...[addsig]

Yeah, I had a little brain poot about the rain. Its been a long day. It could be a problem with the ignition control module. On my cj, its mounted behind the front driver-side wheel well. Maybe water is getting into it. Could you have a crack in your distributor cap?
[addsig]

I will check the ICM, my distributor cap is new, changed it for a F150 one + change the pickupcoil inside.[addsig]

Back