engine keeps dieing on me

keye48

I have a 88 yj 4.2 carberated....I will drive this jeep and than she totally dies on me..have checked for fuel reaching the carb and it is...she will turn over and not start....after she cools she starts but again down the road she dies again I have taken the coil and attached it to the fender thinking the heat from the motor is shortening it out...still same problem..have bought new coil and still same problem have been told that might have a bad ignition moduale but they are 130 dollars was hoping to hear some input before dropping the cash....its always after the motor gets hot...any help would be much appreciated

I had a similar problem, I would check out the crankshaft position sensor, here is a website that will walk you through how to install a new one, it takes but 5 mins, I am assuming yours is in a similar place as mine. But I would look into that, it is strange that it is only when it is hot, possibly a vaccum leak, or the choke is stuck. But hopefully some of this helps....good luck

http://www.4x4xplor.com/cps.htm

'88 is not fuel injected and does not have a crank pos. sensor.

I had the same problem on my '88 4.2L and it was a bad catalytic converter. Every time the exhaust would heat up, the catalyst would expand and choke off the motor. Would run once it cooled off and could get exhaust through.

Does your power decrease gradually until the engine dies?

I have a 88 yj 4.2 carberated....I will drive this jeep and than she totally dies on me..have checked for fuel reaching the carb and it is...she will turn over and not start....after she cools she starts but again down the road she dies again I have taken the coil and attached it to the fender thinking the heat from the motor is shortening it out...still same problem..have bought new coil and still same problem have been told that might have a bad ignition moduale but they are 130 dollars was hoping to hear some input before dropping the cash....its always after the motor gets hot...any help would be much appreciated

I agree w/ BH. I've had a similiar situation where my cat was a melted brick and it would block up under heat. Have someone at the tailpipe while you rev it to see if there is good airflow coming from the exhaust.

JEEP = Just Expect Every Problem

I haven't had this problem with my Jeep, but a few years ago I had a similar problem with my Ford P/U. You'd be running down the road and it would suddenly die without warning - let it cool for a few minutes and it would run just fine again. Went through many, many trips to the shop but it wouldn't do it for them - replace fuel pumps and all kinds of stuff. Turned out to be a faulty relay that would overheat and then work again once it cooled off. $10, 10 minutes and haven't had a problem since. Don't know, but it's worth a look.

Joe

Back