Engine problem

colt45

Hello everyone,

I have a 87 wrangler 2.5 fuel injection I just bought. When I got it it would idle up and down about 100-200 rpm at around 1100 but ran fine. Then the other day it started to choke down ( for lack of not having the right word) to almost stalling or stalling but would idle right back up and repeat for a while. Not all the time but some times. I replaced the fuel filter because it needed it and that lasted like 20 miles and it is back. If you are going down the road fine and it starts it you can't get anything out of the gas pedal either.

Thanks in advance

Throttle body rebuild kit is about $40 at the parts store, good place to start.

Also consider cleaning the gas tank and replacing the fuel filter again.

There is just the injectors and the pressure regulator on there correct. I will add this the first full tank and I put a bottle of sea foam and it's about a 1/4 tank left

do yo have an idle air controller on that engine? or an idle control valve? maybe pull that and clean it

I don't know were would they be located? What do they look like? That will be the first thing I do

Trying putting in a few bottles of concentrated fuel injector cleaner. See if that helps any

Ok I found out there is no idle control valve. Tonight I am going to check for vacuum leaks.

No vacuum problems. I thought it might be a bad o2 sensor so I unplugged it but to difference after letting it idle for a couple minutes. I guess that is the way you can check it?

If it sat up for a long time i would consider purging the tank before doing anything. Then replace fuel filter again and fill with good gas and system cleaner. Just to start.

Back