engine swap

AVILES

hi everyone, i have a 97 jeep wrangler and recently it started to give me some problems, first the check engine light went one and then it started to show signs as if it wanted to die and it would back fire,(i was driving at about 55 mph), it would work ok in 3rd gear but then i shifted to 4th and it would do that again and again every time i got a hill or when the rph went down and i wanted to accelerate. i went to AutoZone and they told me the light went one because of injector problems. I’ve been thinking for a while now on doing an engine swap to a small block or something similar with more hp and i was wondering, what vehicle could be a donor? i know Chevy has it but what specific model and year range? any advice or info is appreciated thanks

Anything small block chevy is gonna be fine. There are 2 trains of thought IMO. Older Chevy with points and condensors (sp?) is good. No computer, no major wiring issues, keepin' it simple. Thought #2 is newer, fuel injected, gives you better gas milage (if that's a worry), and no worries of running out of fuel up hill climbs, as with a carb. Both are good routes. I myself, for simplicity sake, like older, carburated small blocks. They are SUPER easy to work on, and less worries/cost with all the sensors and such that go along with newer stuff. Now to throw this at you. If I were to do a donor vehicle transplant, I would go with a Ford Explorer. That gives you a peppy V-6, a decent transmission/transfercase combo, and Ford 8.8 axles. That also gives you discs front and rear. You should be able to pick up a wrecked one at a yard for reasonable. But, on the other hand (what hand are we on now? .... 6?), you can't beat a small block Chevy for reliability, cheap cost of power, and the possibility of being followed by an M-21 transmission. That is a rock-solid combo. Ok...that's enough to think about for now. Later, Brad

I did a 283 chevy small block and a turbo 350 transmission in my 92 yj and it looks pretty good and wasn't to hard...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110416_011032.png
    ForumRunner_20110416_011032.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,729
  • ForumRunner_20110416_011120.png
    ForumRunner_20110416_011120.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 218

Check your local laws but most states say you have to swap in a same year or new motor now.

Hi all, I'm new here, been all over the place looking for good info on a CJ motor swap. I'm somewhat torn on what to do. I've been looking all over for options, and the Chev swaps are really common, but I'm not sure I want to get involved with all the custom brackets and transmission t-case adapters.

I've heard good things about Golen engines for direct replacement, then after searching for a few more days, I came across these guys, but can't seem to find anything else about them? Anyone ever heard of www.Concept-Customs.com?

I'm tempted to take a drive and go see what they have, but thats about 3 hours! Any thoughts?

Last edited:
check your county laws. or check the dmv sight. it goes by what type of inspection you get for your safety sticker. we havea visual here in south texas but i know houston has the sniffer check. i think you are safe though because i don;t remember anything for texas about the engine having to be same year or newer. if it was true, all the used cars in south texas would be illegal (i know, not all of them but it sure seems that way)

check your county laws. or check the dmv sight. it goes by what type of inspection you get for your safety sticker. we havea visual here in south texas but i know houston has the sniffer check. i think you are safe though because i don;t remember anything for texas about the engine having to be same year or newer. if it was true, all the used cars in south texas would be illegal (i know, not all of them but it sure seems that way)

Most Federal laws pertaining to engine swaps dictate that the engine is of like model (engine- not car) from same or newer year, or newer model from any federally emissions compliant engine (this gives us the option of most of the Chevy swaps) especially the newer FI systems. Even California recognizes the emission benfits of swapping in an engine from a newer FI system into an older say CJ, that was a Carb setup.

Cj-Fan said:
Hi all, I'm new here, been all over the place looking for good info on a CJ motor swap. I'm somewhat torn on what to do. I've been looking all over for options, and the Chev swaps are really common, but I'm not sure I want to get involved with all the custom brackets and transmission t-case adapters.

I've heard good things about Golen engines for direct replacement, then after searching for a few more days, I came across these guys, but can't seem to find anything else about them? Anyone ever heard of www.Concept-Customs.com?

I'm tempted to take a drive and go see what they have, but thats about 3 hours! Any thoughts?

If you want to stay away from all the modifications of going to a v8 or anything else for that matter why not rebuild yours? There are a ton of upgrades for those

yea well now i actually swapped the 2.5 for a 3.0 mercedes turbo diesel. the engine is really good i just need to find an ax15 to mate it with that. i have looked everywhere here in tx and have found no transmissions so ill see how that goes.

If you want to stay away from all the modifications of going to a v8 or anything else for that matter why not rebuild yours? There are a ton of upgrades for those

I wish I could, just don't have the time or space to build one myself... not to mention, most good machine shops are taking about 1 month turn around time for complete engine machining.

Back