engine

dbr5010

In the futurei plan on getting a 4.0 engine and a new transmission i got a 2.5 and a 30rh transmission would the switch be hard and what transmission do i need to get auto is what i got . If i buy a rebuilt engine and transmissionwill it fit in my jeep that had a2.5?

Plan on motor/transmission/TC and dont forget the wireing harness. You'll probably also need the bigger radiator, 6 cyl motor mounts. Dont forget drivelines too. I did this w/01' stuff..not cheap but can be done. Look for the newer 4sp auto or the nv3500 5sp.

It's a lot cheaper and easier to use a common drivetrain like GM's 350 or 4.3L vortec. Much more of a pain to use the 4.0L than you would imagine. It being another jeep drivetrain doesn't necessarily mean it's easier.

as to your choice of auto transmission I would suggest a TH700R.
This 4 speed auto is very adaptable to your off road needs.
As to adapting it to your choice of motors...Novak makes adapters to fit almost any engine.

So it looks like alot to do too switch them out would it be better to have the 4cly and tanny rebuilt? I dont need alot more power it is getting older and high miles. What will fitto replace the 30rh auto transmission .

If you don't need more power, consider more gearing to compensate for larger tires, more weight, and lower crawl speeds needed for wheelin.

You likely have 3.73 axle gears, what size tire do you run/plan on runnin?

Then you should be okay with 4.88 gears. Any lower and you would need different axles.

Cheaper and less of a headache to regear in this situation IMO.

Back