Estimate Needed

JeepGirl9248

Hey all!

I'm looking at buying an 82 CJ7 and I need some help. The guy has no price listed, its Best Offer.... what would you all pay for this:

1982 CJ7
- 152,000 miles
- manual transmission (clutch is supposily in good shape)
- recently painted (but some rust was just painted over...)
- has a hard top, soft top, bikini and trail cover (I've only seen the hard top though and it's in so-so condition)
- BFG 33 tires (only driven 5,000 miles on them)
- 2 inch lift recently installed

I'm sure there's more that I know about it but I don't remember right now. Anybody have a good estimate on this?

Thanks! :)

check to see what manual transmission is in it! If it is a 4 speed all the better it may be a t-18? 4 banger 6 or 8? tug

I believe the 82's came with Ford SR-4 4 speed transmission (junk,but replaceable)
At least thats what my 82 had when I got it.

Either the SR4 or the T176 both with Dana 300. More than likely the T176 behind the 6 cyl. If so then it is one of the more sought after CJ7 models. I assume it has some lift since it has 33's. More than likely it will have 2.73 axle gears which is not so good.
I think you can get it for a good price if the seller is saying make an offer.
Here are some negotiating tips:
Do the negotiating face to face so you can get his reaction to your offer and answers to questions.
Ask why he is selling the Jeep. If he is hard up for cash, you may be able to capitalize.
Take cash...money talks BS walks.
When you are looking at the Jeep make sure you point out the flaws or items that decrease the value.
Don't point out the things that you really like or you turn the negotiating table to his favor if he thinks you can't live without it.
Offer a lot less than what you would really pay for it (lowball) that way if he doesn't accept the offer than he will more than likely meet you in the middle.
Did I mention always take cash?
Make your own judgement on the condition, but I would say offer around $2000. I would go no more than $4500 if it is in really good shape.

I need A front axle

I think the price depends a lot on were you are. Here in SL you can not touch a Jeep for under $3000 unless it has a lot of rust, but I would do what redrooster said it works pretty good. You always lowball and every once in a while someone takes it and you get a good deal.

ROade said:
I believe the 82's came with Ford SR-4 4 speed transmission (junk,but replaceable)
At least thats what my 82 had when I got it.

Or the T5 5 speed. That's what I got in my 82.

Since you live in maryland, check the frame for rust and cracks. Make sure the exhost is in one piece, litterally. :lol: If it has carpet and you can pull some up, pull it up and look under it to see if it is rusted out. Kick the tires and take it for a test drive!

Back